Monarch Airlines is a charter and scheduled airline based out of Luton, England. It is one of Britain’s largest charter airlines with destinations to Europe, the USA, the Caribbean, India, and Africa. Monarch’s scheduled flights serve Mediterranean destinations, the Canary Islands and Cyprus.
- IATA code: ZB
- Number of serviced cities: 17 scheduled, over 100 charter
- Main hubs: London Gatwick Airport (LGW) and London Luton Airport (LTN)
- Fleet: 31 aircraft
- Loyalty Rewards Program: Vantage Club
History of Monarch Airlines
Monarch Airlines was formed in June of 1967. The following year, Monarch began chartered flight operations from Luton to Madrid. By 1972 the airline had updated its fleet with a few Boeing jets and began transporting around 500,000 passengers a year. In the 1980s, Monarch acquired new aircrafts and new routes, including service to Malaga, Minorca, and Tenerife. In the 1990s Monarch Airlines introduced an Airbus into their fleet which increased passenger capacity of its busiest routes.
In 2002 Monarch rebranded itself for the fourth time in the history of the company from Monarch Crown Service to Monarch Scheduled, which included services such as a catered meal, bar service, hot towels, newspapers, and in-flight entertainment. After the success of low-cost airlines like Ryanair, Monarch took on a similar approach, dropping the extra services and going for the no frills, low-cost model: additional charges for food, drinks, seat selection, entertainment, and costs for checked baggage. In 2007, Monarch Airline was voted the best Leisure Airline of the Year at the Travel Trade Gazette Awards.
Travel with: practical information
- Meals: There is no official food & drink service on-board. There is a menu from which you may purchase items which include soups, sandwiches, hot drinks, and light snacks.
- Entertainment: On some flights a movie is shown on an overhead screen.
- Cabin: 1 piece of hand-luggage is allowed, weighing up to 10kgs.
- Checked: There is a charge between 10£ and 20£ for each piece of luggage. Pay on-line to save up to 40% on these prices.
- Excess: All excess luggage is subject to a charge between 7.5£ and 12£. No single bag can weight more than 32kgs.
Discounts and Special Offers
The Monarch Airlines website does not indicate any discounts for travelling babies, children, or seniors.