Italy’s national airline carrier joined up with Delta Air Lines, Air France-KLM this week in a venture that will take it trans-Atlantic more than ever before. New flight routes are soon to be set up between main hub cities between […]
Top destinations for airline tickets
Alitalia is Italy’s national airline and has its main hub at Rome Leonardo da Vinci-Fiumicino Airport. Facing bankruptcy in 2013, Alitalia managed to get out of it after Etihad Airways took a 49% stake in the airline. From London, Alitalia is a top choice for cheap flights to Rome.
- IATA code: AZ
- Number of serviced cities: 103 destinations
- Main hub: Leonardo da Vinci International Airport – Fiumicino, Rome (FCO)
- Alliance: 136 aircraft
- Fleet: SkyTeam
- Loyalty rewards program: MilleMiglia
History of Alitalia
The company was founded in 1946, just after the Second World War with the financial support of two British companies. Its first flight took place on the 5th of May, 1947 from Turin to Rome and then proceeding to Catania in Sicily. Alitalia began international flights when it launched cheap flights to Oslo. Alitalia met its glory years in the 1960s by becoming the third ranking European airline according to passenger numbers per kilometre. As a company with high customer satisfaction, Alitalia was privatised in 2008 after long negotiations and joined the Air France-KLM group. In 2009 the company was integrated to AirOne and expanded its network and fleet considerably.
Travel with Alitalia: practical information
- Meals: Alitalia serves three different menus: light, Italian and international, on flights that are longer than 3 hours. The dishes are seasonal. Non-alcoholic drinks are complimentary. Menus can be adapted for individual needs (diet, religion, allergies, etc.), please give Alitalia at least 24 hours notice if this is the case.
- Entertainment: Alitalia publishes a monthly magazine in English and Italian. The Alitalia fleet is modern and is equipped with individual entertainment screens on the Boeing 777 and 767. There is a large selection of programs to choose from, films, documentaries, news, cartoons, etc.
- Cabin: 1 piece of luggage with dimensions not exceeding 55cm x 35cm x 25cm and no heavier than 8kg. On top of this, passengers are allowed one article, a purse, laptop bag, etc.
- Checked: 1 piece of luggage weighing a maximum of 23kg (except to destinations in the USA, Canada, and Mexico).
- Excess: All luggage that is exceeds the size and weight restrictions will be charged an excess baggage fee. Alitalia does not specify the rate on their website.
Discounts and Special Offers
The fare for children aged 2-11 is around 85% of the adult’s fare as long as the child travels accompanied by an adult. In certain cases there are no discounts for children. For infants less than 2 years old, the ticket price is 10% of the adult fare as long as they sit on the lap of the accompanying adult. There are also senior’s discounts on certain destinations.
|Departure cities:||London, Durham Tees Valley, Manchester, Exeter, Cardiff|