Alitalia is the national airline carrier of Italy. Its main hub is located in Rome from where it services close to 50 international destinations and around 25 Italian cities. Its modern fleet is made up of 155 aircraft as of 2009. Alitalia is affiliated with the SkyTeam alliance.
- IATA code: AZ
- Number of serviced cities: 74 destinations
- Main hub: Leonardo da Vinci International Airport – Fiumicino, Rome (FCO)
- Alliance: 155 aircraft
- Fleet: SkyTeam
- Loyalty rewards program: MilleMiglia
History of Alitalia
The company was founded in 1946, just after the Second World War with the financial support of two Anglo-Saxon companies. Its first flight took place on the 5th of May, 1947 from Turin to Rome and then proceeding to Catania in Sicily. The summer of that same year, the first airplane with an international destination departed from Rome and landed in Oslo, Norway. The first airplanes of Alitalia were lent to the Italian Army; they were the Fiat G-12s. At the end of the 1950s, Alitalia became a nationally recognized company.
Alitalia met its glory years in the 1960s by becoming the third ranking European airline according to passenger numbers per kilometer. From the 1970s Alitalia continued to develop by adding new destinations (Japan, North America) to its network. As a company with high customer satisfaction, Alitalia was privatized in 2008 after long negotiations and joined the Air France-KLM group. In 2009 the company was integrated to AirOne and expanded its network and fleet considerably.
Travel with Alitalia: practical information
- Meals: Alitalia serves three different menus, light, Italian and international on flights that are longer than 3 hours. The dishes are seasonal. Non-alcoholic drinks are complimentary. Menus can be adapted for individual needs (diet, religion, allergies, etc.), please give Alitalia at least 24 hours notice if this is the case.
- Entertainment: Alitalia publishes a monthly magazine in English and Italian. The Alitalia fleet is modern and is equipped with individual entertainment screens on the Boeing 777 and 767. There is a large selection of programs to choose from, films, documentaries, news, cartoons, etc.
- Cabin: 1 piece of luggage with dimensions not exceeting 55cm x 25cm x 35cm and a weight of 5 kg. On top of this passengers are allowed one article, a purse, laptop bag, etc.
- Checked: 1 piece of luggage weighing a maximum of 20 kg (except to destinations in the USA, Canada, and Mexico).
- Excess: On the piece of check luggage there is a charge of 10-30€ per kilo, depending on the destination. To check an additional bag at the airport the fee is 150€.
Discounts and Special Offers
The fare for children aged 2-11 is around 85% of the adult’s fare as long as the child travels accompanied by an adult. In certain cases there are no discounts for children. For infants less than 2 years old, the ticket price is 10% of the adult fare as long as they sit on the lap of the accompanying adult. There are also senior’s discounts on certain destinations. All of Alitalia’s promotions are listed on liligo.com.