American Airlines is the biggest airline company in the world for number of passengers transported. With departures from London Heathrow, it operates non-stop flights to New York (4 flights daily), Miami, Chicago, Dallas and Boston, with connections to more than 230 destinations on the American continent.
- IATA code: AA
- Number of serviced cities: 160 destinations worldwide
- Main hub: Dallas Fort Woth Airport (DFW), Chicago O’Hare (ORD), Miami (MIA)
- Alliance: OneWorld
- Fleet: 700 aircraft
- Loyalty rewards program: AAdvantage
History of American Airlines
Founded in 1930, this company has been named since its birth American Airlines. It started with difficulties until it acquired its first aircraft in 1947, a Douglas DC-6. In January 1959, it was the first airline to cross the USA from east to west, with a Boeing 707. It moved to Dallas in the 1970s. 1981 marked the beginning of the first loyalty rewards program in the world, AAdvantage. In 1984, American Eagle launched, offering regional connections across the USA. In 1991, American Airlines celebrated its millionth passenger. At the end of the 1990s, the company joined the ranks of OneWorld, a new airline alliance. In 2005, after the terrible events of 2001, it opened its longest route: Chicago-Delhi. In 2006, American Airlines flew to China. In 2009, the Dallas-Madrid route is opened and OneWorld celebrates its 10th anniversary.
Travel with American Airlines: practical information
- Meals: On flights departing from Europe, AA collaborates with European chefs to give local flavour to their dishes. In economy class, there is the choice of two hot meals on long-distance flights. There is also a large choice of drinks. On domestic flights, the meals are not usually free.
- Entertainment: The entertainment systems offer a varied program. More and more flights and the majority of long-distance flights are equipped with individual screens. There are headphones offered.
- Cabin: 1 piece of luggage with total dimensions of 114cm, and maximum weight of 18kg.
- Checked: The maximum weight of each bag is 23kg. For flights to the USA, two pieces are permitted.
- Excess: Between Europe and the USA, if the excess is declared at the airport, there is a fee of 150 USD, no matter what the weight.
Discounts and Special Offers
American Airlines offers frequent promotions on flights between Europe and the USA, notably to cities like Los Angeles, New York, Miami, etc. Infants less than 2 years of age have a discount of 90% on the adult price of the ticket, as long as they sit on the lap of their accompanying adult. There are also senior discounts on domestic flights.