China Airlines is the national airline of the Republic of China (also commonly known as Taiwan) and operates flights to destinations in Asia, Europe, North America and Oceania. As the newest member of SkyTeam, China Airline is giving its competitor EVA Air a run for its money.
- IATA code: CI
- Number of serviced cities: 85 destinations
- Main hub: Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport (TPE)
- Fleet: 66 aircraft
- Alliance: SkyTeam
- Loyalty rewards program: Dynasty Flyer
History of China Airlines
China Airlines was founded out of the merger of three airlines in 1959 before the Chinese Civil War. Charter flights were the centre of attention for the first years of operations before more domestic and international routes opened up for the airline. Destinations as far away as Los Angeles, New York and Hololulu were added to the airline's network in the 1980s. After China Airlines introduced its first round-the-world flight in 1993 (Taipei, Anchorage, New York, Amsterdam, Dubai, Taipei) it was put on the Taiwan Stock Exchange.
China Airlines went through an episode of politics concerning its home country of Taiwan, eventually prohibiting it from operating flights to some destinations. Since Japan didn't recognize Taiwan's independence, China Airlines was not allowed to land at Narita International Airport but only Tokyo International Airport until 2002. China Airlines joined SkyTeam in September 2010.
Travel with China Airlines: practical information
- Meals: In-flight meals come in a variety of flavours, highlighting the best of Asian cuisine to suit Western tastes.
- Entertainment: Newspapers and magazines in several languages are available as well as a personalised entertainment system with the latest movies, news and short films.
- Cabin: 1 piece per passenger, no larger than 56 x 36 x 23 cm and no heavier than 7 kg.
- Checked: Each passenger may check up to 20 kg of luggage unless otherwise indicated.
- Excess: Overweight fees vary depending on both departure and destination cities.
Discounts and Special Offers
Seasonal fares, contests and promotions... China Airlines has enough discounted tickets to go around! Search for flights to China Airlines' destinations quickly and easily on liligo.com.