Based in Dubai, Emirates is the airline of choice to and from the United Arab Emirates. The airline Emirates services regional flights to the Middle-East and to most major cities in continental Africa and Asia. From Newcastle, Manchester, London, and Birmingham it is possible to fly direct to Dubai in less than 8 hours.
- IATA code: EK
- Number of serviced cities: 92 destinations
- Main hub: Dubai International Airport (DXB)
- Fleet: 133
- Loyalty rewards program: Skywards
History of Emirates
Emirates Airline was conceived in the mid eighties with the financial support of the royal family at the same time that Gulf Air began to cut back its service to Dubai. The first flight took place on the 25th of October, 1985 between Dubai and Karachi. From here, the airline added flights to Bombay and Delhi. The airline was successful almost immediately and new destinations were added to an increasingly large network.
A daily non-stop service to London Gatwick began in July of 1987. This same year service to Frankfurt and Singapore began. The Gulf War opened up the possibilities of adding more regional routes to the network as the factories began to lay off expatriate workers. Emirates partnered with US Airways in the early 1990s which opened up the world. Today Emirates services non-stop flights all over the world. It offers transit stops in Dubai instead of the traditional London Heathrow, Charles de Gaulle in Paris, or Frankfurt. Terminal 3 at Dubai International Airport is used solely by Emirates.
Travel with Emirates: practical information
- Meals: Complimentary drinks are available (including spirits, beer, wines, etc.) as well both lunch and dinner are served on long-haul flights which include an hors d’oeuvre, salad, main dish, dessert, chocolates, tea or coffee.
- Entertainment: In-flight entertainment systems offer around 600 channels to choose from (movies, television series, music, news, etc.).
- Cabin: 1 piece weighing up to 7 kg with dimensions 55 x 38 x 20cm maximum.
- Checked: 1 standard-sized piece is permitted with a weight of up to 30 kg.
- Excess: Each excess kilo is charged a fee of £25 at the airport check-in counter.
Discounts and Special Offers
Infants are offered discounts adult fare and must travel on the lap of their accompanying adult or in a bassinet. Separate seats may be purchased if the child travels in a car seat. Children aged 2-11 are also offered a discounted adult fare ticket.