Lufthansa is the main airline carrier operating in Germany. Based out of Frankfurt and Munich, it serves almost 200 destinations in Europe and the rest of the world. Lufthansa is a member of Star Alliance in which it plays a large part transporting more than 70 million passengers each year.
- IATA code: LH
- Number of serviced cities: 209 destinations
- Main hub: Frankfurt Airport (FRA), Franz Josef Strauss Airport, Munich (MUC)
- Alliance: Star Alliance
- Fleet: 529 aircrafts
- Loyalty rewards program: Miles & More
History of Lufthansa
Lufthansa was founded in 1926 and began offering commercial flights on the 6th of April that same year. Included in these flights was one flight to China which was a very notable feat at the time. In the first year the fleet consisted of 162 aircrafts. Lufthansa has had a hand in developing airline in Spain, Brazil, and China since the year 1927. In 1934, it launched its first transatlantic connection. After a significant expansion before the Second World War but all flights were suspended to the countries involved in the conflict from the year 1939, flights to Berlin stopped completely. After the war, the company was re-founded on different terms and flights resumed in April of 1955. Lufthansa was revitalized in the sixties with the arrival of its first jets. The Berlin flights reopened in 1990, 45 years after the end of the war, following the reunification of the country.
From 1992 to 1997 Lufthansa was privatized, changing its design and adopting the colour yellow in all of its advertisements and logos. Star Alliance is founded with the partnership of 4 other airlines in 1997. In 2005, the company celebrated their 50 year anniversary of their work after the Second World War and prepared to make its first flights with the new Airbus A380.
Travel with Lufthansa: practical information
- Meals: In economy on flights in 3 hours in length or longer, 1 heated meal is served and you have the choice of either vegetarian or with meat. On shorter flights, there is a snack and refreshment served. 26 special menus exist which are possible to reserve before your flight in the case of a special diet or allergies.
- Entertainment: There are individual screens on the long-distance flight carriers, the Airbus A330-300 and A340-600. 12 films are programmed and are available in 8 languages. There is also radio and an in-flight magazine available.
- Cabin: 1 piece of luggage that does not measure more than 50cm x 40cm x 20cm and that does not weigh more than 8kg.
- Checked: On international flights, 2 bags with a maximum weight of 23kg is allowed, with certain exceptions. In Europe and domestic flights, 20kg maximum is the weight allowance. A special note also, those children less than 2 years old are allowed a bag as well, 10kg maximum.
- Excess: There is a penalty between 5 and 40€ for each extra kg, depending on your departure city and your arrival city. Between Germany and the UK, the penalty is 10€ per extra kilo.
Discounts and Special Offers
Children between2 and 11 years old pay 75% of the adult price. There are no discounts for seniors.