Singapore Airlines, the national airline for Singapore, has long been considered one of the best airlines in the world, with 5-star service. Their expansive network covers five continents. Singapore operates two of the world’s longest non-stop commercial flights, New York and Los Angeles. There are flights to 8 different airports in the UK, making it the best place to find cheap flights to Singapore.
- IATA code: SQ
- Number of serviced cities: 62 destinations
- Main hub: Singapore Changi Airport (SIN)
- Alliance: Star Alliance
- Fleet: 106 aircraft
- Loyalty rewards program: KrisFlyer / PPS Club
History of Singapore Airlines
Singapore Airlines was founded in 1937 under Malayan Airlines. It was a by-product of the union of three companies, the Ocean Steamship Company of Liverpool, the Straits Steamship Company of Singapore, and Imperial Airways. The first flight took off from the British Straights Settlement to Kuala Lumpur in April of 1947. Thus the airline’s commercial schedule was launched. When Singapore and Malaysia experienced political disagreements in 1972, the airline split, creating two separate airlines, Singapore Airlines and Malaysian Airlines System. Later in the 1980s, cheap flights to Toronto in Canada and more destinations in the USA were added to the network. Madrid became the first Hispanic city to be served by Singapore Airlines. The route from Singapore to Los Angeles, USA began in 2004; it was the first non-stop flight connecting the two countries.
Travel with Singapore Airlines: practical information
- Meals: Inflight meals are provided in international and Asian style. Special dietary restrictions can be catered to, choose at the time of booking.
- Entertainment: Individual screens are programmed with a variety of movies, television programmes, music, games and more.
- Cabin: 1 piece weighing no more than 7kg and maximum dimensions of 115cm (length + width + depth).
- Checked: 1 piece weighing up to 30kg. Infants are permitted one piece weighing up to 10kg.
- Excess: Each kilo beyond the weight restrictions is subject for a fine of USD 50 per kilo for flights between Singapore and the UK.
Discounts and Special Offers
There are discounted fares for both children and infants. For any other seasonal discounts , launch a search on liligo.com.