Southwest Airlines is an American low-cost airline. Southwest is one of the largest airlines in the world for passenger numbers. It services around 3,500 flights daily, mostly from its home base in Dallas, Texas. The network of flights covers most of the USA, reaching as well to destinations in Canada and Mexico.
- IATA code: WN
- Number of serviced cities: 68 destinations
- Main hub: Dallas Love Field Airport (DAL)
- Fleet: 547 aircraft
- Loyalty rewards program: Rapid Rewards
History of Southwest Airlines
Southwest Airlines began as a small Texan airline in the 1970s. Its inaugural flights flew between Dallas, Houston and San Antonio. Early on the airline established itself as an airline that gets passengers where they need to go and when they need to be there. On top of this, the airline promises they’ll have fun! At the beginning the airline also boasted its 10 minute turn times. They have since grown but have always stayed below the other airlines average times. The airline carried its millionth passenger just four years into operations. In the 1980s Southwest Airlines wins a number of customer satisfaction awards from different institutions. Southwest also took on a leading role along with SeaWorld to promote Texas as a tourist destination.
By the 1990s the airline expanded from the south and into the east by adding flights to Baltimore, Washington and Louisville. Southwest bought Morris Air in 1993 which opened up the Pacific Northwest for Southwest to fly. In 2003 Southwest installed self-check in kiosks at more than 250 different airports. That same year Southwest is chosen by Air Transport World as the Airline of the Year. ATA airlines and Southwest launched a code share agreement in 2005.
Travel with Southwest Airlines: practical information
- Meals: Southwest offers passengers complimentary snacks and refreshments. There is an in-flight menu as well with more substantial items on it for purchase.
- Entertainment: Southwest welcomes passengers to bring their own reading material like books and newspapers. Electronic devices like laptops, mp3 players and portable DVD players can be used during the flight as well.
- Cabin: 1 piece is permitted with maximum dimensions of 10 x 16 24 inches.
- Checked: There is a limit of 50 lbs for each piece of checked luggage. The maximum dimensions must be less than 62 inches (length + width + height).
- Excess: Passengers are allowed to check 2 pieces without charge. For any additional bags there is a fee of $50 per item or bag.
Discounts and Special Offers
To find the latest information on special offers with Southwest Airlines, check out the flight section on liligo.com.