Thomson Airways is the world’s largest charter airline. Based in the UK, Thomson Airways is the re-branding of previously known Thomsonfly. The company began operating in 2008 as Thomson Airways, but has a history dating back to the 1960’s. Currently there is service to Africa, the Caribbean, the Americas, Asia, and a tight network of European destinations.
- IATA code: BY
- Number of serviced cities: 109
- Main hub: London Gatwick Airport (LGW)
- Fleet: 62 aircraft
History of Thomson Airlines
The company that is known today as Thomson Airlines was founded in 1962 as Euravia. Within two years the airline was renamed Britannia Airways. Britannia became a part of Canadian-owned International Thomson Organization in 1965. From here Britannia opened a subsidiary operation based in Germany named Britannia GmbH which operated long and short-haul flights in Germany, Switzerland, and Austria. This service was closed however in 2001.
As Thomsonfly, operations continued with a fleet of 4 at Coventry Airport but a lot of controversy sparked because local residents were against the implication of regular passenger flights from the airport. With Thomson’s success in the matter, funding was granted for the expansion of the passenger terminal. In Doncaster Sheffield, Thomsonfly became the first airline to operate from its Robin Hood Airport. In 2004 Thomsonfly won Travel Weekly’s award for best charter airline in the UK. There is no service to Coventry Airport now, as the construction of the new terminal did not take place.
Travel with: practical information
- Meals: On routes to and from the UK there are available snacks and refreshments for purchase. If you would like a meal they are available to purchase before your flight.
- Entertainment: In-flight service includes TV, movies, and audio. Bring your own headphones!
- Cabin: All passengers are permitted one hand luggage with a maximum weight of 5kgs.
- Checked: Passengers must purchase luggage allowance. If done on-line there is a discount of up to 50%. Each piece of luggage costs 6.5£ with a maximum weight allowance of 20kgs.
- Excess: There are fines for excess luggage weight but Thomson Airlines does allow the pooling of luggage weight with others that you are travelling with.
Discounts and Special Offers
There are seasonal and last-minute deals posted on their website. They do no specify is there are discounts for children or seniors.