This week two of Southeast Asia’s most popular airline companies signed an agreement to combine their efforts and create a new low cost airline set to begin operating in the first quarter of this upcoming year. Thai Tiger Airways will […]
Top destinations with low cost tickets
Tiger Airways (TR)
Tiger Airways is Asia-Pacific's low-cost airline. With two bases, one in Singapore and the other in Melbourne, Tiger Air services China, Indonesia, India, Australia, and Thailand (among others) with low-cost and short-distance flights.
- IATA code: TR
- Number of serviced cities: 19 destinations
- Main hub: Singapore Changi Airport (SIN)
- Fleet: 10 aircraft
History of Tiger Airways
Tiger Airways was established in December of 2003. This was a difficult time to enter into the airline industry due to sky-rocketing fuel and oil prices but Tiger Airways continued, never charging their passengers excessive oil and fuel surcharges as most airlines were doing. Since Tiger Airways is partly owned by Singapore Airlines, some routes and flights are shared between the two airlines. In the first year of service Tiger Airways carried 500 000 passengers on a total number of 9 flight routes.
In 2006 Tiger Airways increased flights to China and flights to India. This same year Tiger Airways was the first airline to operate out of the new terminal for budget airlines at Singapore Changi Airport. It became the first low cost airline to service southern Chinese destinations like Haikou, Guangzhou and Shenzhen. In 2007 Tiger Airways began operating flights to Perth in Australia with their new partner airline Tiger Airways Australia, a new airline hoping to compete with other Australian airlines like Qantas and Virgin Blue. This same year Tiger Airways opened another airline, Incheon Tiger Airways, a Korean-based low cost airline. Destinations for this brand include Japan, China, Mongolia and the far eastern part of Russia.
Travel with Tiger Airways: practical information
- Meals: There is an in-flight menu from which light snacks and foods can be purchased. Sandwiches cost SGD 8.00 while a hot meal costs SGD 10.00. Other chips, nuts and chocolates cost SGD 3.00, as do cold beverages.
- Entertainment: Electronic devices like music-players and portable DVD players may be used on Tiger Airways flights after take-off. Passengers are also welcome to bring their own reading material.
- Cabin: 1 piece of carry-on luggage is allowed per passenger. It may weigh up to 7 kg and may not be larger than 54 x 38 x 23 cm.
- Checked: Passengers travelling with more than hand luggage must pay a “Luggage Upsize” fee. Standard luggage allowance in 15 kg and costs SGD 12.50 while 20 kg costs SGD 15.00. For 25kg the costs is SGD 35.00 and for 30 kg there is a charge of SGD 70.00.
- Excess: All baggage that is overweight is subject to a fee of SGD 18.00/kg.
Discounts and Special Offers
Infants can travel for a small administration fee on the lap of their accompanying adult. Find cheap flight deals and special offers from Tiger Airways listed in your flight search results on liligo.com.
|Telephone:||+61 3 9999 2888|
|Departure cities:||Singapore, Hong Kong, Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh, Male|