Wizz Air is a Hungarian airline with attractive low prices that offers services from London Luton to Budapest, Warsaw, Kyiv, and Bucharest among others. Operating in a similar way to Ryanair, Wizz Air services smaller, secondary airports to be able to reduce their costs and ticket fares.
- IATA code: W6
- Number of serviced cities: 32
- Main hub: Budapest Ferihegy International Airport
- Alliance: ELFAA (European Low Fares Airline Assoc.)
- Fleet: 26
History of Wizz Air
The idea of the first low-cost airline to operate out of Hungary was conceived in June of 2003 by a group of six people. In only three months, the airline was ready to fly. On May of 2004, the inaugural flight took off from Budapest and landed in Katowice. Today Wizz Air operates from 11 bases in the surrounding region of Poland, Bulgaria, Romania, Ukraine, and Czech Republic. In their first year of operation Wizz Air carried almost 1.4 passengers and until now around 10 million.
Wizz Air is focused on provided quality travel to CEE countries and the EU. It is a simple service which includes ticket-less travel, using the services of smaller, secondary airports, single-class aircrafts with leather seats, no arranged seating system, and catering on demand for an extra payment. Their aircrafts seat 180 passengers.
Travel with Wizz Air: practical information
- Meals: Offered is the possibility of purchasing drinks and snacks including croissants, coffee, long drinks, sandwiches, etc.
- Entertainment: Bring your own reading material or electronic devices.
- Cabin: 1 piece per passenger weighing a maximum of 10kgs. In addition one may carry a coat, reading material, etc.
- Checked: All baggage is subject to a fee per bag and per passenger. Pay on-line to receive a discounted price as the airport fees to check baggage are hefty.
- Excess: 0-5kgs is 5€ online/75€ at the airport, 5-10kgs is 30€ online/150€ at the airport, 10-20kgs is 80€ online/300€ at the airport, 20-35kgs is 140€ online/525€ at the airport.
Discounts and Special Offers
Infants can travel at the fixed rate of 25€ on the laps of their accompanying adults.