Top destinations for airline tickets
Aeromexico is Mexico's largest airline providing numerous domestic flights as well as some service to Europe including Barcelona, Paris, and Madrid. North and South America are well served by Aeromexico's short-haul flights.
- IATA code: AM
- Number of serviced cities: 44 destinations
- Main hub: Mexico City International Airport (MEX)
- Alliance: SkyTeam
- Fleet: 43 aircraft
- Loyalty rewards program: Club Premier
History of Aeromexico
Aeromexico was founded in 1934 in September. The first flight took off from Mexico City and flew to Acapulco. During the Second World War the airline continued to grow, slowly taking over smaller airlines around Mexico. By the 1950s it was already time to rejuvenate the fleet with newer aircrafts. In 1958 Aeromexico flew to New York City, a route which became very popular. In 1959 the airline was nationalised. In the 1960s and 1970s Aeromexico expanded their network to Europe and to Canada. A new colour scheme was introduced, orange and black, to the airline’s livery which was changed just 10 years later to orange and silver.
In 1986 an Aeromexico aircraft collided with a small private aeroplane while approaching the airport in Los Angeles. The airline was not to blame at the end of the long trial but the exposure of the incident along with many other internal problems, greatly affected the airline. By the late 1980s the airline grounded and the company began to privatise. In the 1990s service to Madrid, Paris, Frankfurt and Rome were introduced, something considered risky due to the rising cost of fuel. Aeromexico took over both AeroPeru and Mexicana. In 2006 Aeromexico became the third Latin American airline company to have regularly scheduled flights to Asia wit the inauguration of flights from Mexico City to Japan. In 2007 Aeromexico was sold by auction to Grupo Financiero Banamex.
Travel with Aeromexico: practical information
- Meals: There is always something served on Aeromexico flights, be it a snack or beverage, depending on the time of travel. For special meal requests, contact the airline 24 hours before departure time to reserve your meal.
- Entertainment: Each passenger has their own personal screen to watch on-demand video programming. There are also newspapers and magazines available.
- Cabin: 1 piece per passenger which can weigh up to 10 kg with a maximum total dimensions of 115 cm. On top of this, one can bring a handbag, briefcase or laptop bag.
- Checked: Each passenger can bring 25 kg on flights within Mexico. On international flights between Mexico and Europe each passenger can bring 2 pieces of luggage, each weighing up to 23 kg. On flights from Mexico to the USA or Canada, just one piece of luggage is permitted that weighs up to 23 kg.
- Excess: For luggage that is over the weight restriction the following charges apply: between 24-32 kg the fee is $120 USD, between 33-45 kg the fee is $170 USD. To bring an extra piece of luggage the fee is $140 USD (per extra piece of luggage).
Discounts and Special Offers
Infants (children under the age of 2) fly for 10% of the adult fare on flights between Europe and Mexico. There is also a $15 USD ticketing charge on top of this. Find all of Aeromexico’s special offers on liligo.com in the flight section.