Top destinations for airline tickets
El Al Israel Airlines (LY)
El Al Israel is the leading national airline in Israel. As one of IATA's three most efficient airlines, El Al Israel services flights to and from Tel Aviv as well as other global destinations. From London, fly to Bangkok, Beijing, Tel Aviv, Bombay, and Hong Kong.
- IATA code: LY
- Number of serviced cities: 45 destinations
- Main hub: Ben Gurion International Airport (TLV)
- Fleet: 42 aircraft
- Loyalty rewards program: Matmid
History of El Al Israel
El Al Israel Airlines was founded in 1948 when the current president was unable to fly home from Geneva, Switzerland to Israel due to an embargo. The military painted up an aircraft with “El Al” on the side and civilian passenger air service was born. The airline became official two months after this incident. Aircrafts were purchased from American Airlines and the first international flight took off from Tel Aviv and landed in Paris. By 1949 El Al Israel was flying passengers to London and Johannesburg. Scheduled flights to the USA began in the 1950s. El Al at that time did not fly on the Jewish Sabbath and only served kosher food on all flights.
In the 1950s El Al Israel Airlines was used as a shuttle to bring more than 150,000 immigrants to safely in Israel from India, Iran, Yemen and Iraq. In the 1960s the airline set a world record for the longest non-stop commercial flight between Tel Aviv and New York City. El Al Israel has been the victim of several violent attacks and hijackings throughout their history, mostly initiated by the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine. The only successful hijacking took place in June of 1968. In the 1980s El Al inaugurated flights to Yugoslavia and Poland. In the 1990s El Al again flew hundreds of thousands of Jewish immigrants to Israel.
Travel with El Al Israel: practical information
- Meals: Passengers can enjoy hot breakfasts served on flight between Europe and Tel Aviv in the mornings or a hot meal at other times of the day. All meals are served with local Israeli wines.
- Entertainment: All passengers have their own media player on El Al flights. These are programmed with movies, American television shows, music, sports and other audio channels.
- Cabin: Each passenger can bring 1 piece of carry-on luggage. It must not exceed 8 kg in weight and 56 x 45 x 25 cm in dimensions.
- Checked: Passengers flying to North American and Brazil are permitted 2 pieces of luggage, weigh piece weighing up to 23 kg. Passengers on all other flights are permitted 20 kg of checked luggage.
- Excess: If a passenger’s luggage exceeds the weight allowance there is a fee of 1.5% of the adult one-way economy fare applied per kilo. This applied only on flights to/from Europe, the Far East and South Africa. On flights to/from North America there is a flat fee of $230 to check an additional bag.
Discounts and Special Offers
Find all of El Al Israel Airlines special offers listed in the flight section of liligo.com.
|Telephone:||44 207 121 1400|