Top destinations with low cost tickets
Flyglobespan is a low-cost airline that operates from the UK with a diverse network of routes connecting to Europe, Egypt, Canada, and the USA. This airline is based out of Edinburgh, Scotland and has as well hubs in 5 other airports in the UK.
- IATA code: Y2
- Number of serviced cities: 24
- Main hub: Glasgow International Airport (GLA)
- Fleet: 11
History of Flyglobespan
Flyglobespan was developed as part of the Globespan Group. The airline began operating in 2003 with services from Glasgow and Edinburgh to destinations in Spain, France, and Italy. Passenger numbers increased which enabled Flyglobespan to add a route to Prague and the Canary Islands. The airline introduced its domestic services in May of 2005 with a twice daily flight from Glasgow and Edinburgh to London’s Stansted Airport. Despite the increased price in fuel and the growing competition for low-cost no frill airlines, Flyglobespan managed to expand. It made its break across the ocean in 2006 with its first flight from Glasgow to Orlando, Florida. This same year the airline increased its service to Spain, with the Alicante and Malaga routes being twice daily during the holiday and vacation seasons.
Flyglobespan continued to expand in the international market by recruiting Liverpool as its hub city for service to Tenerife, New York City and to John C. Munro Hamilton International Airport in Hamilton, Ontario in May of 2007. This connection to Hamilton’s small airport was the first regularly scheduled transatlantic flight to operate from there. As well Boston was added the to the network map.
ATTENTION: On Dec. 16. Flyglobespan has gone into administration and therefore cancelled all its flights.
Travel with Flyglobespan: practical information
- Meals: On short-haul flights drinks and snacks are available for purchase. On long-haul flights there is a complimentary meal with drinks.
- Entertainment: “The Globe” is the name of Flyglobespan’s in-flight magazine available on board and for download on their website.
- Cabin: 1 item is permitted with the maximum dimensions of 55 x 45 x 20cm.
- Checked: The limit per person is 20kgs on short-haul flights; on long-haul ones 25kgs are permitted.
- Excess: For flights to Europe and Egypt, extra weight can be bought for 20£/10kgs. On international flights the fees are 50£/10kgs.
Discounts and Special Offers
Flyglobespan does not indicate on their website any discounts for travelling children, infants, or seniors.