Monarch Airlines is a charter and scheduled airline based out of London Luton Airport. It is one of Britain’s largest charter airlines with destinations to Europe, the USA, Caribbean, India, and Africa. Monarch’s scheduled flights serve Mediterranean destinations, the Canary Islands and Cyprus. Now you know where to find those cheap flights to Larnaca you’ve been after!
- IATA code: ZB
- Number of serviced cities: 100+ destinations
- Main hubs: London Gatwick Airport (LGW) and London Luton Airport (LTN)
- Fleet: 44 aircraft
- Loyalty Rewards Program: Vantage Club
History of Monarch Airlines
Monarch Airlines was formed in June of 1967. The following year, Monarch began chartered cheap flights to Madrid from Luton. In the 1980s, Monarch acquired new aircrafts and new routes, including service to Malaga, Minorca, and Tenerife. After the success of low cost airlines like Ryanair, Monarch took on a similar approach, dropping the extra services and going for the no frills, low cost model: additional charges for food, drinks, seat selection, entertainment, and fees for checked baggage. In 2007, Monarch Airline was voted the best Leisure Airline of the Year at the Travel Trade Gazette Awards.
Travel with: practical information
- Meals: There is no official food & drink service on-board. There is a menu from which you may purchase items which include soups, sandwiches, hot drinks, and light snacks.
- Entertainment: On some flights a movie is shown on an overhead screen.
- Cabin: 1 piece of hand-luggage is allowed, weighing up to 5kg and should be no larger than 56 x 40 x 25cm.
- Checked: Passengers have a hold baggage allowance of 20kg.
- Excess: Any hand luggage that doesn’t comply with the restrictions will be charged a fee of £50 to be placed in the hold. No single bag can weight more than 32kg.
Discounts and Special Offers
The Monarch Airlines website does not indicate any discounts for travelling babies, children, or seniors.