Top destinations for airline tickets
Northwest Airlines (NW)
A large American company, Northwest Airlines is working alongside KLM at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol to service transatlantic flights and to provide world-wide services and connections. Detroit, Memphis, and Amsterdam are the main hubs and from there passengers can travel anywhere in the world.
- IATA code: NW
- Number of serviced cities: 254 destinations
- Main hub: Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport (DTW)
- Alliance: Sky Team
- Fleet: 304 aircraft
- Loyalty rewards program: WorldPerks
History of Northwest Airlines
Northwest Airlines was established on the first of September in 1926. At the time the airline was not concerned with passenger numbers but with delivering cargo mail for the U.S. Post Office. It serviced mail routes between Minneapolis and Chicago. In 1927 the airline began operating passenger flights. The following year the airline launched its first international route to Winnipeg, Canada. At the onset of the Second World War the airline began flying military personnel and their equipment from the USA to Alaska.
Popularity expanded for its Great Circle route, from New York City to Tokyo via Alaska and in 1947 the airline opened a Tokyo base. Northwest Airlines was the first commercial airline to have a regularly scheduled flight between Japan and the USA. The company invested a lot of time and energy into improving their passenger’s comfort, especially because many of their routes fly over turbulence-prone areas. In 1957 the airline’s meteorologists developed the first turbulence prediction system. In the 1980s Northwest opened routes to the United Kingdom, Ireland, Germany and Scandinavia.
Following the September 11th attacks, Northwest was unable to recover from its low passenger numbers and filed for bankruptcy protection for the first time. In 2005 four of the largest 6 airlines in the USA were operating under some form of bankruptcy. In 2007 Northwest Airlines emerged from their financial difficulties and has, since December 2009, merged with another large American airline Delta Air Lines. This merge formed the world’s largest airline company, using the Delta brand and name.
Travel with Northwest Airlines: practical information
- Meals: Complimentary meal service is available on flights 6 hours or longer in duration. For shorter flights, cookies and other snacks are complimentary along with a small drink.
- Entertainment: Movies are projects on a communal screen. There is music available, an in-flight magazine, and Wi-Fi access.
- Cabin: One piece of cabin luggage is permitted with maximum dimensions of 55 x 36 x 23 cm.
- Checked: Each passenger is permitted 23 kg with maximum dimensions of each piece being 158 cm combined.
- Excess: To check an extra piece of luggage the fee is 150€ for flights between Europe and the USA. There is a fee of US$150 for every piece of luggage that is over the 23 kg maximum.
Discounts and Special Offers
Children discounts apply for passengers between the ages of 2 and 11 on international flights. If passengers are travelling due to the death of an immediate family member and are Sky Miles members, they are eligible to a discounted fare for their travel. Infants travelling domestically in the USA fly for free. Those travelling internationally require a seat at a discounted price. All of Northwest Airlines other special fares are listed with liligo.com.