Top destinations for airline tickets
SATA Air Açores is a Portuguese airline that has been operating flights to destinations in the North Atlantic since the 1940s. SATA flies travellers between the Azores islands and beyond.
- IATA code: SP
- Number of serviced cities: 11 destinations
- Main hub: João Paulo II Airport (PDL)
- Fleet: 6 aircraft
- Loyalty rewards program: SATA Imagine
History of SATA Air Açores
A group of investors founded the Azorean Society of Aviation Studies, Ltd (SATA) in August of 1941. The product of this group was an inter-island airline that could service the entire Azorean archipelago and connect it to mainland Portugal. The first flight took off in June of 1947 carrying 7 passengers. The airline began by operating mail, cargo and passenger services between São Miguel, Terceira and Santa Maria. When the new João Paulo II International Airport was inaugurated in 1969 it became the main base for SATA Air Açores.
When TAP went on strike in April of 1977, SATA Air Açores took over its route between Ponta Delgada and Lisbon. At that same time the airline had carried more than 1 million passengers on its regional flights. Although originally founded as a private airline, by 1980 it became state-owned by the regional government and TAP Portugal. As a special touch, the airline names each of its planes after an island in the archipelago.
Travel with SATA Air Açores: practical information
- Meals: There is only meal service on flights longer than 3 hours, otherwise only a snack and small refreshment will be served.
- Entertainment: The in-flight magazine,Azorean Spirit is available on all flights.
- Cabin: Passengers may bring 1 piece of carry-on luggage no heavier than 6 kg and no larger than 55 x 40 x 20 cm.
- Checked: There is a limit of 20 kg per passenger.
- Excess: Excess weight is calculated at a rate of 1.5% of the highest listed one-way, adult, Economy class ticket, per kilo. There is a fee of €79 to check an additional piece of luggage.
Discounts and Special Offers
Students are allowed to carry 30 kg of checked baggage allowance if they prove they are travelling between their place of study and home. Seasonal discounts and special promotions are no rarity at SATA Air Açores so search often on liligo.com to find the latest fares.
|Telephone:||+351 707 22 72 82|