Top destinations with low cost tickets
Spirit Airlines (NK)
Spirit Airlines is an ultra low-cost airline operating from Miramar, Florida which is located near Miami. It services destinations across the USA, in the Caribbean, and all over Latin America. From Florida passengers can fly to Boston, Chicago, Las Vegas, Lima (Peru), Cancun (Mexico) and even Costa Rica.
- IATA code: NK
- Number of serviced cities: 40 destinations
- Main hub: Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport (DTW)
- Fleet: 28 aircraft
History of Spirit Airlines
Spirit Airlines was first established in 1980 in Michigan as Charter One’d. It was a low cost tour operator serving mostly entertainment destinations like Atlantic City and Las Vegas. In 1992 the tour operator changed its name to Spirit Airlines and changed the fleet to an all-jet fleet. This same year Spirit Airlines added service from Detroit to Atlantic City. In the early 1990s Spirit Airlines began servicing more and more destinations around the country, including New York City, Myrtle Beach and Los Angeles.
In 2001 Spirit Airlines began servicing Spanish-speaking destinations like Puerto Rico which also meant the addition of a fully Spanish-language customer service plan. The airline added also flights to Cancun, Mexico, Santo Domingo and the Caribbean to its network of flights. In 2007 Spirit Airlines changed their services to low-cost, beginning to charge passengers for check baggage and a charged in-flight menu. Business class was phased out also at this time. In 2007 Spirit Airlines was the largest carrier of passengers to Fort Lauderdale’s airport.
Travel with Spirit Airlines: practical information
- Meals: There is an in-flight menu which features many reasonably-priced snacks and beverages. Snacks range in price from $2-$4. There is also coffee for $2 and juice for $3.
- Entertainment: Passengers are each given a copy of Spirit Airline’s in-flight magazine, skylights, to enjoy while flying.
- Cabin: carry-on luggage must be able to fit under the seat in front of you and cannot be larger than 61 x 40 x 30 cm.
- Checked: Fees for check baggage are non-refundable. The baggage allowance is 23 kg with linear dimensions of 158 cm. The first bag is $19, the second is $25, and all bags on top of this cost $100.
- Excess: Any piece of luggage that exceeds the weight limit is subject to a fee. For bags weighing between 23kg and 32kg there is a charge of $50. For oversized bags there is a fee of $100.
Discounts and Special Offers
Spirit Airlines does not offer any discounted infant fares. Find all of Spirit Airline’s special offers listed in the flight search results on liligo.com.
|Telephone:||+1 800 772 7117|
|Departure cities:||Newark, Atlanta, Los Angeles, New York, Oakland|