Top destinations for airline tickets
SriLankan Airlines (UL)
SriLankan Airlines is one of the main air carriers in Asia. SriLankan Airlines boasts rapid connections between Europe, the Middle and Far East, and Southeast Asia. There is a direct flight from London to Colombo and Maldives.
- IATA code: UL
- Number of serviced cities: 38 destinations
- Main hub: Colombo Bandaranaike International Airport (CMB)
- Fleet: 12 aircraft
- Loyalty rewards program: FlySmiLes
History of SriLankan Airlines
SriLankan Airlines was founded in 1979 by the Sri Lanka government after Air Ceylon stopped operations. It was first known as Air Lanka. In the 1980s SriLankan Airlines concentrated on adding destinations and aeroplanes to its fleet. By the 1990s SriLankan Airlines purchased its first Airbus, bringing it up-to-date in modern aircraft technology. In 1998 Emirates and the Sri Lankan government partnered together and agreed to buy the airline which allowed Sri Lankan Airlines to have exclusive control of ground handling and airline catering. The name Air Lanka was given up in 1998 and SriLankan Airlines was adopted.
The airline has been subjected to a number of downfalls during its history. The first and most major one was the outbreak and panic surrounding SARS. The next was the earthquake in the Indian Ocean in 2004. This caused the airline to move its main hub to Colombo. Presently SriLankan Airlines has 9 destinations in the Middle East and non-stop service from Maldives to Paris, London and Tokyo. One thing remains unchanged with the airline since its inception, the stewardess’s uniform: a simple sari with a peacock feather print.
Travel with SriLankan Airlines: practical information
- Meals: Passengers are served meals on all flights as well beverages are served every 45 minutes on flights.
- Entertainment: There is a selection of moves, TV channels and radio stations for passengers to enjoy. On shorter flights when headsets are not available there are silent films like Charlie Chaplin screened.
- Cabin: 1 piece is permitted per passenger. The maximum weight is 7 kg and it may not be larger than 46 x 36 x 2 cm. As well passengers may bring a purse, umbrella, camera and reading material.
- Checked: Luggage restrictions vary depending on destination and departure city. No single piece of luggage may weigh more than 32 kg.
- Excess: All excess baggage is subject to an additional fee.
Discounts and Special Offers
Find all of SriLankan Airlines special offers when you search for flights to any of their destinations in the flight section on liligo.com.
|Telephone:||208 759 4048|