Top destinations for airline tickets
Air India (AI)
Air India is India's flag carrier airline and is the third largest airline in India after IndiGo and Jet Airways. Air India was invited to become a Star Alliance member in 2007 and finally became a full member in the summer of 2014. Air India is the top choice for cheap flights to Delhi from London!
- IATA code: AI
- Number of serviced cities: 90 destinations
- Main hub: Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport (BOM)
- Alliance: Star Alliance
- Fleet: 101 aircraft
- Loyalty rewards program: Flying Returns
History of Air India
In 1932 Air India was founded under the name Tata Airlines. The first official flight took place in October of that year from Karachi to Bombay carrying mail. During the Second World War, air service was delayed but picked up right where it left off once it ended. The airline’s name changed in 1948 to Air India and was owned for a time by the government of India. The airline launched cheap flights to London from Bombay in 1948. A new route is added in 1960 to New York City. In 1962 Air India was the world’s first all-jet airline. In celebration of International Women’s Day in 2004, Air India operated an all-women flight from Mumbai to Singapore. The aircraft was piloted by the airline’s first female pilot and even the flight’s dispatch was received by a female flight dispatcher.
Travel with Air India: practical information
- Meals: Hot meals are provided on all of Air India’s flights. The airline can accommodate more than 20 different meal-types including those for special and religious diets. Book your meal at least 48 hours before departure.
- Entertainment: Air India has a few entertainment possibilities for its passengers. There are on-demand films in first class and films screened on a shared screen in Economy. Headsets are provided.
- Cabin: Hand luggage must not exceed the dimensions of 55 x 40 x 20cm and cannot weigh more than 8kg.
- Checked: On all international flights (except USA and Canada) there is a baggage allowance of 20kg. On domestic flights the allowance is 30kg. On flights to and from the USA and Canada, 2 pieces are permitted weighing each 23kg.
- Excess: If a piece of luggage exceeds the weight allowance a fee of 1.5% of the highest normal one way Economy class fare is charged per kilo.
Discounts and Special Offers
For the latest Air India fares and offers, launch a search on liligo.com.