American Airlines is the biggest airline company in the world for number of passengers transported. With departures from London Heathrow, it operates direct and cheap flights to New York, Miami, Chicago, Dallas and Boston, with connections to more than 250 destinations on the American continent.
- IATA code: AA
- Number of serviced cities: 273 destinations
- Main hub: Dallas Fort Worth Airport (DFW), Chicago O’Hare (ORD), Miami (MIA)
- Alliance: Oneworld
- Fleet: 631 aircraft
- Loyalty rewards program: AAdvantage
History of American Airlines
Founded in 1930, American Airlines is one of the only airlines that still has the name that it was founded with. It acquired its first aircraft in 1947, a Douglas DC-6 and in January 1959, it was the first airline to cross the USA from east to west, with a Boeing 707. 1981 marked the beginning of the first loyalty rewards program in the world, AAdvantage. In 1991, American Airlines celebrated its millionth passenger. In 2005 American Airlines launched its longest route with cheap flights to Delhi from Chicago.
Travel with American Airlines: practical information
- Meals: On flights departing from Europe, AA collaborates with European chefs to give local flavour to their dishes. In Economy class, there is the choice of two hot meals on long-distance flights. There is also a large choice of drinks. On domestic flights, the meals are not typically free of charge.
- Entertainment: The entertainment systems offer a varied program. More and more flights and the majority of long-haul flights are equipped with individual screens.
- Cabin: 1 piece of hand luggage that is no larger than 56 x 36 x 23cm
- Checked: Each passenger can check 1 piece of luggage on flights between the USA and Europe. It should be no heavier than 23kg and no larger than 158cm (height + length +width).
- Excess: Bags between 23-32kg are subject to a fee of $100. Bags larger than 158cm will be charged at a rate of $150 per piece.
Discounts and Special Offers
American Airlines offers frequent promotions on flights between Europe and the USA, notably to cities like Los Angeles, New York, Miami, etc. Infants less than 2 years of age have a discount of 90% on the adult price of the ticket, as long as they sit on the lap of their accompanying adult. There are also senior discounts on domestic flights.