Austrian Airlines is the leading airline servicing Austria. In collaboration with two smaller airlines, Austrian Arrows and Lauda Air, Austrian Airlines is able to operate scheduled flights to over 100 destinations. Between Vienna and Innsbruck, Austria is well connected to the rest of Europe and the world.
- IATA code: OS
- Number of serviced cities: 117 destinations
- Main hub: Vienna International Airport
- Alliance: Star Alliance
- Fleet: 42 aircraft
- Loyalty rewards program: Miles & More
History of Austrian Airlines
Officially the airline was founded on the 30th of September in 1957. In March of the next year, the airline made its inaugural flight between Vienna and London with a stop-over in Zurich. In the early 1960s the airline began servicing domestic destinations. At the end of the decade transatlantic flights between Vienna and New York City were added to the network of routes. In the 1970s the airline switched its fleet over to only jets, selling off its original Vickers Viscounts.
In the 1990s Austrian Airlines made it possible to buy tickets online through their website. Early in 2000 the airline joined Star Alliance which increased their code-share flights with other airlines and the sharing and launching of a loyalty rewards program. Every year the airline continues to break its passenger records and continues to expand and better their services to make travelling more comfortable and more affordable for their passengers.
Travel with Austrian Airlines: practical information
- Meals: On short-haul flights an Austrian snack is served which changes depending on the time of flight. On long-haul flights a 2-course meal is served as well as various snacks and refreshments throughout the duration of the flight.
- Entertainment: There are films only on long-haul flights as well as audio channels, games and an in-flight magazine called Skylines.
- Cabin: 1 single piece of hand luggage is permitted in the cabin. It can weight no more than 8 kg and have the maximum dimensions of 55 x 40 x 23cm.
- Checked: All passengers are able to check one piece of luggage with a weight of 20 kg. Infants can check 10 kg. On flights to and from the USA and Canada two pieces are permitted, each can weight up to 23 kg.
- Excess: The fees for overweight baggage are calculated according to destination and departure city. For travel between Austria and Germany for example the fee is €10/kg while travel between UK and Austria the fee is €15/kg.
Discounts and Special Offers
Visit liligo.com’s flight section to find all of the latest offers and seasonal specials with Austrian Airlines.