Top destinations for airline tickets
Avianca 1 stop
Avianca 1 stop
Colombia’s leading airline, Avianca, is the second oldest airline to keep its original name, just after KLM. With a new image and new uniforms, Avianca is striving to be the leading airline of Latin America, serving both Europe and USA with flights to dozens of destinations throughout Latin America.
- IATA code: AV
- Number of serviced cities: 49 destinations
- Main hub: José María Córdova International Airport
- Alliance: 6
- Fleet: 58 aircraft
- Loyalty rewards program: AviancaPlus
History of Avianca
Avianca has a history that dates back to 1919 when a German-Colombian company was founded called the Sociaded Colombo-Alemana de Transporte Aéreo (SCADTA). The first flight took place between Barranquilla and Puerto Colombia. In the 1920s the small airline began servicing international destinations with flights to Venezuela and the USA. The name Avianca was adopted during the 1940s when SCADTA joined with another Colombian airline. Throughout history Avianca has been the leading airline to connect Colombia with the world. As early as the 1930s Avianca was delivering mail between Bogotá and New York City.
In the 1950s the airlines popular destinations were Quito, Lima, Panama City, Miami, New York City and also Europe. In 1961 Avianca flew the athletes to participate in the Melbourne Olympic Games in Australia, making it there with only one stop to refuel. In the 1990s Avianca was the first airline in the world to operate Boeing 767-200ERs, the most advanced aircraft at that time.
Travel with Avianca: practical information
- Meals: There are two menu options on all long-haul flights depending on the time of travel. All beverages are complimentary. Avianca asks passengers with special diets to indicate it at the time of booking.
- Entertainment: Passengers can enjoy a variety of programs, films, music, sports and others on individual entertainment screens.
- Cabin: The maximum weight of carry-on luggage is 10 kg with maximum linear dimensions of 115 cm (length + width + height). On top of this a purse, overcoat and laptop are allowed.
- Checked: For domestic Colombian flights there is a maximum of 20 kg per passenger while flights to and from the USA and Mexico and Spain there is a restriction of 2 pieces each with a weight of 23 kg. Passengers flying from Brazil to the USA, Spain, Mexico and vice versa are permitted 2 pieces each weighting up to 32 kg.
- Excess: Generally each excess kilo is charged at 1% of the adult fare of that particular flight. TO check an additional piece of luggage, there is also a fee. From Spain it costs €150 and €50 if one of the bags is overweight.
Discounts and Special Offers
Find all of Avianca’s latest special offers on liligo.com in the flight section.
|Telephone:||+44 8 705 767 747|