British Airways is operating the largest aircraft carrier service in the United Kingdom. Based at London Heathrow Airport, British Airways offers year-round low fares on their flights to destinations across the globe, including cheap flights to Cancun. Presently British Airways serves over 600 destinations worldwide through their partnership with American Airlines, and other alliances made possible with Oneworld.
- IATA code: BA
- Number of serviced cities: 183
- Main Hub: London Heathrow Airport (LHR)
- Alliance: Oneworld
- Fleet: 287
History of British Airways
British Airways was officially created when two English companies merged in 1972, the British Overseas Airways Corporation and British European Airways Corporation. This partnership made British Airways the United Kingdom’s national airline. But the company itself runs back much further in history than the seventies. Their forerunning company was the first in the world to establish a regularly scheduled international flight in 1919 with cheap flights to Paris from London. With new aircrafts and new routes also come lounges and specialty services including wifi in select airports and the option to dine before flying in order to optimise sleeping time. In the public eye British Airways is safe and reliable. Now having gone through different advertising campaigns, BA has gone from “The World’s Best Airline” to the more recent, “Upgrade to British Airways.”
Travel with British Airways: practical information
- Meals: Depending on length of travel, passengers are provided with either a hot mean or a light snack. There are always complimentary drinks available. British Airways accommodates special dietary needs with a dozen different meals to choose from.
- Entertainment: Most of British Airways cabins are now equipped with individual screens where they offer a large selection of movies, TV and audio channels, and games. They publish as well an in-flight magazine.
- Cabin: 1 standard-sized bag (56cm x 45cm x 25cm) weighing up to 23kg and 1 laptop-sized bag, briefcase, or handbag.
- Checked: Luggage must not exceed the size restrictions of 90cm x 75cm x 43cm. The maximum weight restriction for each bag is 23kg. The number of bags you are allowed depends on the length of your travel. Domestic is 1, international is 2, any first-class travel is 3.
- Excess: If there is excess baggage or your luggage weighs more than the restrictions, there will be a fine payable at the airport. Bags that weigh 23-32kg are charged £40 or local equivalent at check-in.
Discounts and Special Offers
BA regularly offers discounts on flight routes, hotel stays, and car rentals which can be found through liligo.com. Passengers can join British Airway’s loyalty program to collect BA Miles that can be cashed in for further discounts. Children between the ages of 2-12 travel at varying discounted rates, depending on the route while infants travel for free on an adult’s lap.