Brussels Airlines is Belgium's leading low-cost airline with services to every corner of Europe, many destinations in the USA, as well throughout central Africa. It is a subsidiary of Lufthansa and is today the largest airline operating out of the European Capital of Belgium.
- IATA code: SN
- Number of serviced cities: 62 destinations
- Main hub: Brussels Airport (BRU)
- Alliance: Star Alliance
- Fleet: 42 aircraft
- Loyalty rewards program: Miles & More
History of Brussels Airlines
Brussels Airlines is the combination of two former companies, SN Brussels Airlines and Virgin Express. The merge took place in March of 2006. In March the following year the newly designed airline began operations. In September of 2008 Lufthansa decided to buy Brussels Airlines in stages. As part of their agreement, Brussels Airlines joined Star Alliance in 2009. The airline now shares frequent flyer programs with different members of the Star Alliance community and operates a number of code-share flights between Germany and Belgium.
In the future, Brussels Airlines plans to expand its flight network into Africa and develop a domestic airline for the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
Travel with Brussels Airlines: practical information
- Meals: On short-haul flights there is a large selection of snacks and beverages served. On long-haul flights a hot meal is provided.
- Entertainment: On long-haul flights there are film screened and music channels available in the armrests. Also there is an in-flight magazine, b.there, which passengers are allowed to take with them after the flight.
- Cabin: Each passenger can bring 1 piece of hand luggage that weighs up to 8 kg.
- Checked: On short-haul flights, 20 kg is permitted per passenger. On long-haul flights, each passenger is allowed 2 pieces that each weigh up to 23 kg.
- Excess: The fee for excess weight is calculated per kilo. On European flights, the charge is €10/kg. On flights headed to Tel Aviv, Moscow and Helsinki, the charge is €12/kg and on long-haul flights towards Africa, the charge is €50 on pieces weighing more than the 23 kg permitted.
Discounts and Special Offers
Brussels Airlines offers many season and discounted offers which are regularly posted through liligo.com.