Etihad Airways is the flag-carrying airline for the United Arab Emirates. Its home base is in Abu Dhabi, the capital of the UAE. Etihad services flights to the Middle East, Europe, subcontinent of India, North America, Africa and Central Asia. This airline carries approximately 6 million passengers a year. In the UK there is service to London Heathrow, Manchester and Dublin.
- IATA code: EY
- Number of serviced cities: 65
- Main hub: Abu Dhabi International Airport (AUH)
- Alliance: Arabesk Airline Alliance
- Fleet: 52 aircraft
- Loyalty rewards program: Etihad Guest
History of Etihad
Etihad was established as the national airline of the United Arab Emirates in 2003 as the result of a royal decree. The first flight, for ceremonial purposes, took place on the 5th of November, 2003 from Abu Dhabi to Al Ain. Its first commercial route and services were to Beirut, Lebanon. From that point on, Etihad added approx. one new route per month. It established as well a subsidiary company, Etihad Holidays.
In June of 2004, Etihad flew the first direct route between the UAE to Geneva. Following this it added direct routes to Brussels and Toronto. In 2006 the airline had grown to 30 destinations. Etihad now has code-share agreements with almost 2 dozen other airlines including American Airways, BMI, Flybe, and JetAirways.
Travel with Etihad: practical information
- Meals: there is a hot meal, inspired by Arab flavours, served on every flight. Etihad is able to provide alternative meals for those with religious, diet, or other restrictions. Give at least 48 hours notice. All meals are halal.
- Entertainment: Each seat has an individual entertainment system which plays movies, television shows, music, interactive games, etc.
- Cabin: one piece weighing up to 7 kg with maximum dimensions totaling 115cm. Additional to this personal items can be carried such as purse, lap top bag, coat, reading material, etc.
- Checked: 1 piece of luggage weighing a max of 20 kg is permitted. Some routes offer free additional luggage.
- Excess: All excess kilos are subject to a 1.5% fee of the highest normal direct adult one way IATA Economy class fare per kilo.
Discounts and Special Offers
Infant tickets are discounted to 20% of the adult fare for flights departing from the UK. All of Etihads ticket specials are listed through Liligo.com.