Top destinations for airline tickets
Middle East Airlines (ME)
Middle East Airlines is an airline based out of Lebanon. Starting with just a few services from Beirut to other destinations in the Gulf, MEA has expanded its routes to Europe and the Middle-East. There are four flights daily leaving from London, Paris, Frankfurt, and Geneva to Beirut.
- IATA code: ME
- Number of serviced cities: 26 destinations
- Main hub: Beirut Rafic Hariri International Airport (BEY)
- Alliance: SkyTeam
- Fleet: 13 aircraft
- Loyalty rewards program: Cedar Miles
History of Middle East Airlines
Middle East Airlines was founded in May of 1945. The following year the airline began operations between Beirut and Nicosia. Soon after flights to Iraq, Syria, Cyprus and Egypt were added to the airline’s growing network. In the 1960s MEA (Middle East Airlines) merged with Air Liban, another regional passenger airline. A few years later MEA also merged with Lebanese International Airways. With increasing passenger numbers and flight routes, the fleet was in desperate need of modernization. By the late 1960s the fleet was well on its way to being wholly made up of Boeing aircrafts. Service was temporarily suspended during the Arab-Israeli war and by the raids on Beirut Airport (1968).
In 1975 MEA introduced flights to London and in 1983 flights to Paris. The airline was heavily affected by the war in Lebanon from the mid 1970s until the early 1990s but continued service despite the many attacks on the Beirut Airport. In 2001 the airline was completely restructured. Some new features include self check-in kiosks and more routes.
Travel with Middle East Airlines: practical information
- Meals: Lebanese and European style meals are served on all flights. In the morning there is a brunch served and for lunch and dinner there is a main dish, salad and dessert. Reserve a wedding cake or “bon voyage” cake for a special passenger at least 48 hours in advance for $25.
- Entertainment: Passengers on MEA can relax and watch videos, play games and listen to music using high quality entertainment systems.
- Cabin: 1 piece is allowed per passenger. It should not exceed 10 kg and 56 x 40 x 25 cm.
- Checked: Passengers may check up to 20 kg of luggage. On flights to the USA and Canada passengers may check 2 pieces of luggage, each with a weight of 23 kg.
- Excess: Any luggage that exceeds the free weight allowance is subject to a fee at the time of check-in. These vary depending on destination and departure city but expect around €10/kg.
Discounts and Special Offers
Find Middle East Airlines special offers when you search for flights on liligo.com. Select MEA on the left-hand side of the search results screen to browse only their fares.