Top destinations with low cost tickets
Ryanair 1 stop
TAP Air Portugal 1 stop
Ryanair is one of the largest low-cost airlines in the world based out of Dublin, Ireland. It has 37 bases and has an intricate network of more than 950 routes across 28 countries in Europe, plus Morocco. In 2013, Ryanair was the largest European airline in terms of scheduled passengers carried. From London Stansted Airport, catch cheap flights to Rome, Krakow, Madrid, Salzburg and beyond!
- IATA code: FR
- Number of serviced cities: 179 destinations
- Main hub: Dublin Airport (DUB)
- Fleet: 305 aircraft
History of Ryanair
Ryanair was founded in 1985 by an Irish tour operator and business man. The airline began operations with just one aircraft with cheap flights to London from Waterford. The second route added to the network was from Dublin to Luton International Airport, a route that competed with Aer Lingus and British Airways. In 1991 the airline’s “no frills” style was implemented. This meant fast turn-around times, no business class, standard aircrafts and limited catering. Ryanair launched routes to regional airports instead of major ones to cut costs. The low cost idea caught on in Europe and Ryanair came out on top. Year by year Ryanair has slowly started to take over European skies, flying to more destinations than ever at the lowest prices possible.
Travel with Ryanair: practical information
- Meals: There is no complimentary meal service on Ryanair flights, instead passengers are offered an in-flight menu from which many snacks and beverages can be purchased, including some hot dishes like paninis.
- Entertainment: Passengers are welcome to bring their own reading material as well as electronic devices, which can be used after take-off. Ryanair provides its own in-flight magazine.
- Cabin: 1 piece of carry-on luggage per person is allowed. It may not be heavier than 10 kg or larger than 55 x 40 x 20 cm.
- Checked: Each passenger can check up to 2 bags. Your first bag (15kg) costs £15 online, £30 at the airport. Your second bag costs the same. Alternatively, choose to carry 1 bag (20kg) for £30.
- Excess: There is a fee of £10 per excess kilo to be paid at the airport.
Discounts and Special Offers
Infants less than 2 years of age are eligible to travel at a discounted fare of £20 per flights. There are hundreds of special offers from Ryanair during off-peak times, which means travel between Monday and mid-day on Thursday. If you book 14 days in advance, you can be sure that you’ve found the cheapest price. Ryanair advices to book up to 28 days in advance to ensure that you get the lowest price offered.
|Telephone:||0905 566 0000 (£1/min)|
|Departure cities:||London, Bordeaux, Beauvais, Manchester, Edinburgh|
Flying with Ryanair and unsure about luggage measurements, pricing and weight? Read our guide that will ensure you're up to date with Ryanair's current luggage policy.
Ryanair are having a sale on flights across Europe this autumn, with destinations including Portugal, France and Sweden!
Ryanair is introducing a discount program for Erasmus students, and it's pretty awesome (15% off flights, anyone?!).
Ryanair have released their winter schedule from Newcastle, and there are a few new routes to look forward to...
Passengers traveling with Ryanair may be at risk of losing their second free cabin bag allowance, according to the low cost airline.
Ryanair is offering up to 80% off flights from the UK across Europe! But hurry: the sale ends tonight!
Want to send your kids on their first solo adventure? Airlines are more than willing to accommodate as long as you follow their rules.
Want to bag the "worst job in Ireland"? Ryanair is recruiting an assistant to its CEO Michael O'Leary and the ad makes for some interesting reading.
Hurry: Ryanair is offering up to 90% off European flights - and they're selling out fast!
Want to avoid paying extra fees on your next flight? Then it's time to learn how to travel with hand luggage only. Here are our top tips!