Top destinations for airline tickets
Tunisair 1 stop
Tunisair 2 stops
Royal Air Maroc 1 stop
Tunisair is the national airline company of Tunisia with routes connecting to Europe, Africa, and the Middle-East. With more than 50 flights a day, it is the company of choice for trips between France and Maghreb. There are as well a number of charter flights operated by Tunisair.
- IATA code: TU
- Number of serviced cities: 46
- Main hub: Tunis-Carthage International Airport (TUN)
- Alliance: Arab Air Carriers Organization
- Fleet: 31 aircraft
- Loyalty rewards program: Fidelys
History of Tunisair
The company opened its doors in 1948 with an office located in the city centre of Tunis and operated its first chartered flights with Air France in 1949. In four years, Tunisair covered 6,500 km of distance in the air and celebrated its 500,000th passenger in 1955. At this time, Tunisair was servicing mainly French workers. It was not until 1958 that air stewardesses were seen on board the aircrafts. In 1961 the company acquired its first Caravelle which landed at El Aouina Airport via Nice. In 1964, the route between Tunis and Djerba is opened. The company is therefore very dependant on tourist traffic to be able to run, but opened as well the route between London and Tunisia which multiplied their number of annual British passengers by 30.
In 1977, the company accomplished for the first time carrying one million passengers a year. In the 1980s, Tunisair opened a number of new routes towards Africa and Europe. In the 1990s, the company concentrates on the modernization of their fleet by purchasing Airbus A320s. An official alliance was formed between Tunisair and Air France in 1999. In 2005 the company appeared on-line with the option for its passengers to purchase electronic tickets. Today the company focuses its attention on medical tourism.
Travel with Tunisair: practical information
- Meals: Meals are served in traditional European style with an entrée, main dish, bread, and dessert. This is also served on the flights from London to Tunis.
- Entertainment: Interactive and individual screens on aircrafts operating long-distance flights. There is as well an on-flight magazine.
- Cabin: 1 bag of 10kg, and with dimensions 55cm x 40cm x 35cm.
- Checked: The maximum for each passenger is 20kgs.
- Excess: Tunisair does not disclose this information on their website. Contact the airline before your flight if you plan to have extra luggage.
Discounts and Special Offers
Regular promotions, especially on domestic flights appear on their website. There are special prices for youth (12-24), children (2-11), and infants (0-2).
|Telephone:||20 7437 6236|