Turkish Airlines is one of Europe’s leading airlines. Turkish Airlines serves Europe extensively with scheduled flights. Being based in Istanbul gives the airline easy access to offer cheap flights to Bodrum, other domestic Turkish destinations, as well as flights to Europe, Asia, Africa and the Americas.
- IATA code: TK
- Number of serviced cities: 259 destinations
- Main hub: Atatürk International Airport (IST)
- Alliance: Star Alliance
- Fleet: 263 aircraft
- Loyalty rewards program: Miles & Smiles
History of Turkish Airlines
In the springtime of 1933 the airline was officially founded under the name of “State Airlines Administration.” Finally the airline operated its first international commercial flights from its home base in Ankara to Istanbul and then onwards to Athens in Greece. In 1986 Turkish Airlines began servicing Asia with cheap flights to Singapore. A few years later New York was connected to Turkey via Brussels. In 2000 Turkish Airlines opened a route to Sydney to accommodate the Olympic Games that same year. Some of the newest routes include flights to Toronto, Dakar, Nairobi, Birmingham, Lviv and Jakarta.
Travel with Turkish Airlines: practical information
- Meals: There are meals served on every flight: a light lunch on short domestic flights, a warm meal on medium-haul flights and a warm meal on long-haul flights as well. The menu changes periodically and the airline is able to accommodate special dietary restrictions if given appropriate notice.
- Entertainment: There is a programmed selection of entertainment that includes movies, music, games and other programs.
- Cabin: 1 piece is permitted that weights a maximum of 8kg and has dimensions of 23 x 40 x 55cm. In addition to this passengers may bring a coat or blanket, a purse, a camera, etc.
- Checked: Economy-class passengers are permitted 20kg of free baggage allowance. Infants under 2 years of age are permitted 10kg plus one baby stroller.
- Excess: Each kilo that is over the limit is subject to a per kilo fine that varies depending on destination. It ranges from €6 to €30.
Discounts and Special Offers
Passengers travelling with a 40% disability are eligible to a 25% discount on their flight fare. Infants are eligible to a 90% discount as long as the travel takes place before their second birthday. Similarly children ages 2-11 can receive a 25% discount. Travellers aged 65 and over are eligible to a 25% discount as well. Students between the ages of 13 and 25 with a valid student identification card can enjoy a 25% discount on their fare for international flights only.