United Airlines is one of the largest airlines operating in North America. It operates more than 3,000 flights a day to almost 400 destinations in the USA and around the world. It is based in Los Angeles, California but has hubs in all of the major American airports including Chicago, Washington, Denver and San Francisco. It is one of the founding members of the world-renown Star Alliance.
- IATA code: UA
- Number of serviced cities: 374 destinations
- Main hub: Los Angeles International Airport (LAX)
- Alliance: Star Alliance
- Fleet: 705 aircraft
- Loyalty rewards program: Mileage Plus
History of United Airlines
United Airlines is one of the oldest airlines in America. The airline officially launched with cheap flights to Washington in 1926. This was the first scheduled air service route established in the USA. One of the first incidents of airline terrorism took place in 1933 when a United Airlines plane crashed due to a bomb in the baggage compartment. In the early 19990s United began operating cheap flights to London from Chicago. On September 11th, 2001 two United Airlines flights were involved in the hijacked terrorist attack on New York. More recently United has been performing maintenance on their fleet to cut gas emission and fuel consumption.
Travel with United Airlines: practical information
- Meals: Enjoy a hot meal with salad, entrée, seasonal fruit, cheese and dessert as well as a complimentary drink on long-haul flights. If the flight is overnight, breakfast is served before landing. On shorter domestic flights snacks or lunch boxes are available for purchase. These can be paid in-flight with credit card.
- Entertainment: There are personal entertainment systems on selected 777 aircraft. On all others there are film screenings, music stations and an in-flight magazine available.
- Cabin: Each piece of cabin luggage must fit in the over-head compartment. The maximum dimensions are 56 x 35 x 22cm. An additional personal item is permitted, no larger than 43 x 25 x 22cm.
- Checked: 1 piece of luggage is permitted with a maximum weight of 23kg on flights between the USA, Canada, Mexico and Europe.
- Excess: Each bag that is oversized is subject to a €100 fee if travelling between North America and Europe. For luggage that weighs more than 23 kg there a fee of €100 for each item.
Discounts and Special Offers
Infants and children are eligible for discounts on international flights only. The prices vary depending on destination however.