Virgin Atlantic is a British-based airline owned part by the Virgin Group and part by Delta Air Lines. Their main office is located in Sussex, not far from London Gatwick Airport. Virgin Atlantic operates routes between the UK and North America, the Caribbean, Africa, the Middle-East, Asia, and Australia.
- IATA code: VS
- Number of serviced cities: 32
- Main hub: London Heathrow Airport (LHR) and London Gatwick Airport (LGW)
- Fleet: 38
- Loyalty rewards program: Flying Club
History of Virgin Atlantic
Virgin Atlantic Airways was founded in 1984 with the sole purpose of creating an airline to operate flights between London and the Falkland Islands just after the Falkland War ended. The service was needed but the route was quickly dropped. Instead, cheap flights to New York were secured from London Gatwick. On June 22, 1984 Virgin Atlantic operated its inaugural flight London Gatwick - New York (Newark). A few years later, new aircrafts were acquired and new routes launched, including cheap flights to Tokyo, Los Angeles, Boston and Orlando. Virgin Atlantic was the first airline to operate the Airbus A340-600, the largest passenger aircraft in the world, on scheduled flights.
Travel with: practical information
- Meals: There is a free meal and drink served on all flights. With some notice, there is flexibility for special diets.
- Entertainment: Each seat has an individual entertainment screen. Programmed in are movies, comedy, sports, drama, etc. An in-flight magazine is available as well as newspapers.
- Cabin: Economy passengers can only take one piece of hand-luggage on board with the individual dimensions now exceeding 23cm x 36cm x 56cm and 10kg in weight.
- Checked: On all Virgin Atlantic routes 1 suitcase is allowed. It shouldn’t weigh more than 23kg and shouldn’t be larger than 90cm x 75cm x 43cm. Only those passengers with cheap flights to India and the USA are permitted to bring an additional bag weighing up to 23kg.
- Excess: If you bag weighs over the maximum of 23kg, there is a fine of £30 at the airport. If you wish to bring an extra bag with you, buy it on-line for £32 or at the airport for £40.
Discounts and Special Offers
There are a number of last minute deals to most destinations available online. For children there are no clearly stated discounts either for travelling children or infants.