Top destinations with low cost tickets
WestJet is the second largest airline in Canada, after Air Canada, operating low cost flights between Canada, the United States, Mexico and the Caribbean. This airline is also among the top five most profitable airlines in the world and is one of the few that is non-unionized.
- IATA code: WS
- Number of serviced cities: 67 destinations
- Main hub: Calgary International Airport (YYC)
- Fleet: 8 aircraft
History of WestJet
WestJet was founded in 1996 by a group of 5 Calgarians. Services officially started in February of 1996 to five destinations in the West of Canada: Vancouver, Kelowna, Calgary, Edmonton and Winnipeg. That same year WestJet added Victoria, Regina and Saskatoon to their growing network. The following year WestJet celebrated its millionth passenger. WestJet was originally meant to only service the west of Canada but in the late 1990s the Canadian airline industry went through some changes. Air Canada took over the former Canadian Airlines and WestJet took the opportunity to begin servicing eastern Canada with cities like Hamilton, Ottawa and Moncton.
Striving to be Canada’s leading low cost airline, WestJet steadily kept adding smaller regional destinations that larger airlines like Air Canada did not service like Fort McMurray and Comox on Vancouver Island. In 2002 WestJet was named one of Canada’s top 100 Employers. In 2003 WestJet made an agreement with another Canadian airline, Air Transat to operate flights for its holiday tours. This agreement ended in 2009. WestJet was taken to court by Air Canada in 2004 with accusations of espionage. The ruling was that the airline had to donate $10 million dollars to different charities in the name of Air Canada and WestJet. Presently WestJet is working with Air France and KLM to offer codeshare flights to destinations in Europe.
Travel with WestJet: practical information
- Meals: Complimentary juice, soft drinks, coffee and tea are served with a light snack. WestJet does not offer a full meal service however if you are more hungry there is a Buy On Board menu for flights longer than 1 hour and 40 minutes. Credit cards and cash are accepted onboard.
- Entertainment: Headsets are available for purchase at a small fee on all flights that have live satellite television or bring your own.
- Cabin: On domestic and international flights (excluding the USA), 2 pieces of carry-on luggage are permitted. Each can weigh 10 kg. The first must not exceed the dimensions of 55 x 23 x 40 cm and the second must not exceed the dimensions of 43 x 16 x 33 cm. On flights from Canada to the USA, only 1 piece of carry-on luggage is permitted.
- Checked: Each passenger can check 2 pieces of luggage on all domestic flights, flights to the USA and all other international flights. Each bag can weigh up to 23 kg and the maximum allowed size is 157 cm (length + width + height).
- Excess: To check an additional bag the fee is $75/piece. If a piece of luggage is overweight the fee is $50/item. If the piece of luggage is oversized the fee is $50/item.
Discounts and Special Offers
WestJet offers bereavement fares for passengers travelling in the case of a sudden death. Infants can travel at no charge on the lap of their accompanying adult. Check liligo.com frequently for all of WestJet’s other special offers.
|+1 877 737 7001
|Toronto, Paris, San Jose, Ft Lauderdale, London
WestJet and Gatwick Airport have a new agreement that will see the low cost airline touching down in London as early as next year.
For those of you who placed bets at Ladbrokes and guessed the Royal Baby’s name correctly, congratulations! One city in western Canada is celebrating the Duke and Duchesses name choice and that’s Price George in British Columbia. The baby fever is far from over for this town! What’s in a name? As if you haven’t … Continued
Canadian low cost airline, WestJet, has reduced its full-price travel fees by an average of 25 per cent for all routes across its 68-destination Caribbean and North American network. Those seeking the cheapest flights to Toronto may like to book with WestJet, which is also offering lower everyday value fares if booked 330 days before … Continued
Canada, that large but quiet country on the other side of the pond, is calling. The country flows with maple syrup this time of the year, the last snows fall and the great winter freeze finally let’s up. Tourism is Canada is booming but what’s all the buzz about? During the last quarter of 2009 … Continued