As the American Labor Day weekend approaches it gets us thinking, there is still time to fit in one last summer weekend getaway isn’t there? What better way to send off the summer and bring on the fall than in good American fashion. This post is dedicated to the American readers (and those celebrating Labor Day in the USA). Here are 10 great ideas for your Labor Day getaway.
- Great Falls – get in touch with the cowboy within and follow the trail of Lewis and Clark through Montana. Enjoy the last warm nights of summer by sleeping under the stars, camping outdoors or in a cosy riverside cottage. Hike along the Missouri River, in the mountains and through pine-filled forests. Great Falls is a great spot for kayaking and canoeing, river rafting and fishing.
- Maine Lighthouse Tours – Skip the beach and hit the seas instead. Climb aboard one of the tour boats in Maine and get a close look at some of the country’s prettiest lighthouses. The Mary Day for example takes 28 people on 6-day excursions leaving from Camden, giving passengers a chance to try their ropes at tall ship sailing or just relax on deck.
- Niagara-on-the-Lake – Just a short drive from Niagara Falls, this quaint historic town has more to offer than meets the eye. Known for its famous theatre company and nearby vineyards, its a cultural escape that still feels like it did when settled by US Loyalists. Victorian houses are now turned into B&Bs where you can enjoy afternoon tea on their front porches. Cycle to the dozens of wineries close by and taste the local flavours, a speciality of the area is icewine.
- Capitol Hill – Certainly the best place to spend a culture weekend is in the capital right? Washington area is holding a number of events during the weekend, perfect for families. September 5th there is a free outdoor concert by the National Symphony Orchestra on East Capitol and First Streets. The Kennedy Centre is hosting 25 free theatre productions over the weekend and there is a free jazz & wine festival nearby in Herndon, Virginia.
- Disneyworld – You’re thinking: kids, long lines, crowds, sun… no way! But if you spend a little extra on the FastPass you’ll save the hassle and time of waiting in long lines for the parks biggest attractions. Whether you head to this theme park with friends or your entire family, just remember, easy on the hot dogs and cotton candy if you plan on riding the roller coasters afterwards. Find a cheap hotel in Orlando on liligo.com, rooms start at $36/night (£24).
- Myrtle Beach – End the summer at the beach in Myrtle Beach. The annual Beach, Boogie and Barbecue Festival kicks off on September 3rd and is the last chance of the summer to enjoy beer gardens, wake boarding, live music and fireworks.
- Yellowstone – Spend the last sunny days of the season hiking through one of America’s most famous National Parks. Explore Old Faithful, Yellowstone Lake and the Hayden Valley and take a wildlife excursion if you also have time. Many don’t know that the park offers free ranger-led tours, including half-day hikes to the park’s more famous sights.
- Tofino – For a west coast getaway, head up to Tofino, on the western side of Canada’s Vancouver Island. It’s a surfer’s paradise without the price tag of places like Sydney or Hawaii. It’s remote so you’ll need to hire a car in Vancouver to get there. It’s full of little cafés, trendy art galleries, great restaurants and of course, non-stop surfing. If the Pacific is too cold for your toes, grab a wet suit.
- Ann Arbor – Michigan’s college town has more to offer than just college football games and rallies. Labor Day is the last chance to enjoy the town before the uni students roll in, invading the picturesque campus. Nichols Arboretum shouldn’t be missed on campus, nor the Law Quad. Grab a slice of home-made apple pie at Zimmerman’s or a stack of French toast at Angelo’s.
- Home is where the heart is – Skip the trip and stay at home. Invite your friends and family over instead for one last barbecue in the backyard and make your own fireworks show like you used to do when you were young, from Dad’s wheelbarrow. Fire up the grill and relax!
Where are you heading this Labor Day?
Img: dana moos / flickr cc