If you haven’t started your Christmas shopping yet, shame on you! It’s already the the 6th, leaving only 18 shopping days left before Christmas Eve. Don’t worry, we’re here to help you out, especially if you have a travel addict on your list!
While we’re sure any of these essential geeky gadgets for travellers would do for Christmas this year, not everyone has the same travel style. You’ve got your jetsetters that love city breaks, your beach bums that wouldn’t take a holiday unless there was sand and sun involved, your backpackers who scorn the idea of a suitcase on wheels so we’ve categorized our gift guide by travel personalities!
For adventure travellers
Adventure can take place anywhere in the world but if the adventure traveller on your list is heading to the Outback, the wild jungles of South America, the roaring rivers of North America or anywhere else in the world where the elements aren’t so forgiving, these are great things to take along! Headlamps free up your hands in the dark, multi-tools are essentially 20 tools in one, dry bags keep your kit… dry and it’s always important to have a notebook around to record the day’s events.
- Leatherman Multi-tool (£50 at leatherman-store.co.uk)
- Petzl TIKKA Headlamp (£40 at amazon.co.uk)
- Seal Line Dry Bags (from £22 at amazon.co.uk)
- Field notebooks from Moleskine (various prices at moleskine.com and most local bookstores)
For RTW travellers
Long-term travellers know that less is more, especially when it comes to the weight of their rucksacks. Necessities that pack small are key, like a quick-dry towel! On the road travellers need to give up some simple pleasures from home but when you can get on-the-go Starbucks coffee in small sachets, you don’t need to give up all the pleasures.
- Sturdy flip flops (£50 from Chaco)
- Starbucks VIA Instant Coffee (£30 for a 24 pack from Starbucks)
- Sea to Summit Large Dry Lite Towel (£19 at amazon.co.uk)
- Pocket corkscrew (you’d never imagine how often this comes in handy!)
Ready, set go! For travellers who love jetting off to cities like Barcelona, Amsterdam or Milan for the weekend, these are the perfect travel accessories to take along. From mobile closets to cosy slippers that are perfect for wearing around the hotel room… there’ll never be a dull moment if you’ve got a Le Cool city guide along for the ride.
- Cashmere travel slippers (£118 at whiteandwarren.com)
- Mobile closet (£280 from Max Mirani)
- Chic iPad case (£48 from Kate Spade)
- Le Cool Guides: Barcelona, Amsterdam, London, Madrid and Lisbon (from £10 at amazon.co.uk)
For nomadic families
If the little ones are tagging along on a trip, these are great ideas to keep them busy in transit and help them discover their new surroundings in a whole new way! New parents don’t have to give up their passion for travelling, there is an impressively large number of accessories out there to make it easy for new babes to travel well.
- Lonely Planet’s “Not-for-Parents: The Travel Book” (£15 at lonelyplanet.com)
- Adjustable baby sling (£28 from Dr. Sears)
- Kodak Digital Underwater Camera (from £50 at amazon.co.uk)
- 1000 Places to See Before you Die (£14 at Waterstones)
If you want some more inspiration, check out last year’s gifts for under every traveller’s tree! What are you buying the travellers on your Christmas list?