Top destinations with low cost tickets
airberlin is now the second largest airline in Germany, quickly growing since its first operated flights in 1992. Based out of Berlin’s Tegel Airport, airberlin is perfectly situated to offer service to Germany, Europe, and the world. This low-cost airline carries almost 29 million passengers a year to their choice of leisure and business destinations.
- IATA code: AB
- Number of serviced cities: 121
- Main hub: Berlin-Tegel Airport (TXL)
- Fleet: 144
- Loyalty rewards program: topbonus
History of airberlin
airberlin began its story in 1978 in Oregon, USA, an unlikely place for an airline holding the name of Germany’s capital city. A former Pan Am captain formed it as a supplementary carrier for the USA during the Cold War. In 1985 the headquarters was moved to Berlin. Until 1990, while Berlin was still divided, all aircraft pilots, engineers, navigators and flight attendants had to have either American, British, or French passports if the air service was headed into the Western half of Germany.
airberlin began with mostly charter flights to the Mediterranean and the Canary Islands. As well it serviced a weekly schedule from Tegel to Orlando, Florida in the 1980s. After the reunification of Germany, the company officially registered in German and began servicing flights to European capitals like London, Zurich, Vienna, and Barcelona. In 2007 airberlin discontinued some of its routes from London Stansted to Belfast City, Glasgow, Mallorca, and Manchester. These routes were quickly scooped up by Ryanair and Easyjet. Today airberlin operates an Airbus in its fleet and has been awarded the most punctual airline operating out of London’s Stansted Airport.
Travel with airberlin: practical information
- Meals: There are hot and cold beverages available on board free of charge. For flight up to 4 hours in length there are snacks or sandwiches served. On flights longer than 4 hours in length, bagels, baguettes, nibbles, and chocolate bars are served. If you would like a substantial meal on flights longer than 90 minutes, you must pre-order one on-line. On transoceanic flights, a hot meal is provided and you have the choice to choose your menu at the time of the purchase of your ticket.
- Entertainment: There are individual entertainment systems for passengers with feature films, music videos, cartoons, music stations, etc. As well, current newspapers and magazines are available.
- Cabin: 1 item with a weight of 6kg and dimensions 55cm x 40cm x 35cm.
- Checked: For short/medium-haul flights the maximum is 20kg a person. This baggage allowance applied to children and infants as well. For flights to USA and Canada, 2 pieces of luggage are permitted, each with a maximum weight of 23kg. For children, 1 piece of luggage is permitted.
- Excess: Fines for excess baggage range from 5€/kg on domestic flights, and 8€/kg on international flights. The cost of an additional piece of luggage is 150€.
Discounts and Special Offers
Children under the age of 2 years old travel for free but the tickets must be purchased by phoning one of their service centres. Other discounts are available on their website or through Liligo.com.
|Telephone:||0871 5000 737 (10p/min)|