Top destinations with low cost tickets
Airtran Airways (FL)
Airtran Airways is a low cost airline designed for business travellers in the USA. It operates around 750 daily flights, mostly in the eastern and mid-west of the United States. Their main hub is in Atlanta from which 250 daily flights depart.
- IATA code: FL
- Number of serviced cities: 73 destinations
- Main hub: Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL)
- Fleet: 136 aircraft
- Loyalty rewards program: A+ Rewards
History of Airtran Airways
The first version of Airtran was born in 1992 as ValuJet Airlines. It was first established to service Atlanta’s airport after the failure of Eastern Air Lines. ValuJet’s first commercial flight took place on the 26th of October, 1993 between Atlanta, Georgia and Tampa, Florida. It was the first airline to have ticketless travel. Just eight months after beginning, the airline listed its stocks on NASDAQ, making it public in 1994. The airline celebrated in 1995 when it was named Georgia’s top company.
In September of 1997 the airline changed its name officially to Airtran Airways. With the new name also came the purchase of Airways Corporation Inc. which expanded the airline considerably. They then opened another hub in Orlando, Florida the following year. In October of 2003 the airline began service to Washington’s Reagan National Airport and also to San Francisco.
Travel with Airtran Airways: practical information
- Meals: There is a wide assortment of complimentary beverages on all flights.
- Entertainment: 100 channels of XM satellite radio are available for listen, in-flight internet is also available.
- Cabin: Each passenger is allowed one piece with maximum combined dimensions of 140cm (H + W + L).
- Checked: Each bag must weight equal to or less than 23 kg. There is a charge to check luggage. The first costs $15; the second piece costs $25.
- Excess: Every excess piece of luggage after 2 costs $50 to check. Any luggage that is over 23k kg is subject to a fee. If it weights between 23 and 32 kg the fee is $49. Luggage weighing between 32 kg and 45 kg are subject to a fee of $79.
Discounts and Special Offers
Infants younger than 2 years old can fly for free on the lap of their accompanying adult. The airline offers some stand-by specials to travellers between the ages of 18-22, Air Tran U Standby Program. All of specials are listed on liligo.com.