Top destinations with low cost tickets
LTU International Airways (LT)
LTU (Lufttransport-Unternehmen) is an airline based out of Dusseldorf in Germany. It is a subsidiary of Air Berlin with main bases in Munich, Dusseldorf and Berlin. Finally in May of 2009 LTU merged completely with Air Berlin.
- IATA code: LT
- Number of serviced cities: 3 (these are now serviced by Air Berlin)
- Main hub: Dusseldorf International Airport (DUS)
- Fleet: 26 aircraft
History of LTU
LTU was founded in 1955 as Lufttransport Union. The first flights departed from Frankfurt. In 1956 it took on its present name, Lufttransport-Unternehmen which was then shortened to simply LTU. In 1961 the airline moved its headquarters from Frankfurt to Dusseldorf. Some of LTU’s most popular routes were to the USA, making it a leading competitor against Lufthansa. Some of the airlines other destinations were Beijing, Chengdu and Shanghai.
In March of 2007 Air Berlin moved in and took over LTU, still operating its flights under the LTU name however. This merger made Air Berlin the 4th largest airline group in Europe. In May of 2007 LTU operated the first sightseeing flight to the North Pole. The flight was almost 13 hours in length and took 283 special passengers on a trip of a lifetime to Norway, Svalbard, the North Pole, Greenland and Iceland before returning back to Dusseldorf. Finally in 2008 Air Berlin retired the LTU brand and took all of its flights under the Air Berlin name.
Travel with LTU: practical information
- Meals: There are beverages on board all flight free of charge. For flights 4 hours or shorter, there are snacks and sandwiches available while on flights longer than 4 hours there is an array of bagels, baguettes, chocolates and other treats available. Hot meals may be reserved on flights longer than 90 minutes on-line at the time of booking. There is regular meal service on trans-Atlantic flights.
- Entertainment: Passengers can enjoy films, music videos, cartoons, radio and other audio programs on individual screens. There are also magazines and newspapers to read.
- Cabin: 1 piece per passenger is permitted. It should not weigh more than 6 kg or be larger than 55 x 40 x 35 cm.
- Checked: On short and medium-haul flights 20 kg per person is permitted. On flights to the USA and Canada 2 pieces are allowed, each with a weight of 23 kg. For children, just 1 piece of luggage is allowed.
- Excess: The fee for overweight luggage is €5/kg on domestic flights and €8/kg on international ones. To check an additional piece of luggage costs €150.
Discounts and Special Offers
LTU / Air Berlin offers many discounts on fares, especially on flights to Dusseldorf and Munich from London. Find these on liligo.com when you make a flight search.