Top destinations with low cost tickets
Meridiana is an Italian airline based out of Olbia. It is Italy’s third largest domestic airline. It offers as well intercontinental flights though its subsidiary Eurofly. Meridiana also operates an on-line tour operator called Wokita.com where flights, cars, hotels, and holiday packages can be purchased.
- IATA code: IG
- Number of serviced cities: 41 destiantions
- Main hub: Olbia-Costa Smeralda Airport (OLB)
- Fleet: 25 aircraft
History of Meridiana
Meridiana was first founded in the early 1960s as Alisarda. Its original use was as an air taxi and tour operator to help promote tourism to Sardinia which at that time was only accessible by boat. The first scheduled services began in 1964. IN the 1970s tourism to Sardinia really took off. Meridiana responded by adding flight routes to Cagliari, Genoa, Turin, Bologna and Pisa. In the 1980s the fleet was rejuvenated with new aircraft and more of them. The name didn’t change to Meridiana until 1991 when the first international destinations were added to the airline’s network: Barcelona, Paris, London and Frankfurt. Since 2003 Meridiana has worked to promote itself as Italy’s “Low cost-High quality” airline, offering flights as low as €9 one way.
Wokita.com was launched in June of 2006. This is Meridiana’s online tour operate that organizes hotel stays, car hires, flights and other holiday deals for destinations that are served by Meridiana. From 2007 the airline has been interested in expanding its flight network to destinations like Verona and Florence in Italy and to islands like Ibiza, Mykonos and Crete. The first long haul flight toNew York City was added in November 2007.
Travel with Meridiana: practical information
- Meals: There are cold and hot drinks offered on all flights. On longer flights there is an Italian meal served with a coffee and wines from Sardinia.
- Entertainment: There is an in-flight magazine, Atmosphere that is available to read. It includes articles on news, fashion, art, tourism, food and wine. There is also a selection of international newspapers on most flights.
- Cabin: 1 piece that does not exceed 55 x 40 x 20 cm in dimensions and 8 kg in weight.
- Checked: Each passenger can check up to 20 kg of luggage on domestic flights. On international flights the free baggage allowance is 20 kg in Economy and 30 kg in Business Class.
- Excess: Excess weight allowance can be purchased on-line or with Meridiana’s call centre. The fee for 3 extra kg is €21 on domestic flights, €27 on flights to Paris, €36 on medium-haul flights and €45 on long-haul flights. The excess kilo allowances go up like this: 3kg, 6kg, 10kg, 15kg, 20kg, 25kg, etc. The rates vary depending on flight distance (domestic, short-haul, medium-haul and long-haul).
Discounts and Special Offers
Find all of Meridiana’s special offers and discounted flights to Sardinia and other Italian destinations listed on liligo.com.
|Telephone:||0871 423 30871 423 3711711|
|Departure cities:||Lagos, Bangkok, London, Accra, Catania|