Top destinations with low cost tickets
TUIfly is a German low cost airline based in Hannover offering both scheduled low cost flights and charters. It is the third largest airline operating in Germany after Lufthansa and Air Berlin.
- IATA code: X3
- Number of serviced cities: 36
- Main Hub: Hannover Airport (HAJ)
- Alliance: TUI Airlines
- Fleet: 39 aircraft
- Loyalty rewards program: FriendChips
History of TUIfly
TUIfly appeared out of a merger between Hapag Lloyd Flug and Hapag Lloyd Express in 2007. Soon after taking the skies with a new branding, the airline gave up its Leipzig/Halle base to concentrate on Cologne/Bonn. In 2008, TUIfly almost merged with Eurowings and Germanwings (both low cost brands owned by Lufthansa). The merger was unsuccessful.
In 2009 however, TUI Travel took a 20% stake in Air Berlin, the second largest airline in Germany. As part of the deal, 17 TUIfly aircraft were leased to Air Berlin, who took over all of TUIfly's city connections. Today the airline concentrates on the charter market.
Travel with TUIfly: practical information
- Meals: TUIfly offers free snacks, drinks and meals on all flights to/from Cape Verde, Egypt, Greece, Israel, southern Italy, Morocco, Portugal, Spain and Tunisia. Hot meals are only served on longer flights including the Canary Islands, Madeira, Cape Verde and Egypt.
- Entertainment: TUIfly welcomes all passengers to bring their own electronic devices to use during the flight including laptops, iPads/Pods and other gadgets. Need something to read? Be sure to visit the news kiosk before boarding.
- Cabin: Passengers may bring one piece of hand luggage onboard weighing up to to 5kg with the following dimensions: 55 x 40 x 20 cm.
- Checked: Put up to 20kg in the hold, free of charge. Infants under the age of two are also eligible to bring their own carry-on and checked luggage.
- Excess: Overweight bags are charged per kilo at the airport at a rate of €10/kg. No individual item may weight more than 30kg. Alternatively you can purchase additional weight allowance online in the form of vouchers for much cheaper rates than at the airport.
Discounts and Special Offers
TUIfly constantly has fare deals on. The best way to keep track of them is to set yourself a fare alert on liligo.com and check the prices often.
|Departure cities:||Kos, Frankfurt|