Top destinations for airline tickets
Bmi British Midland (BD)
BMI is the second largest airline with a hub at London Heathrow. BMI offers business class service to destinations in the UK, Europe, Central Asia, Africa and the Middle East. It is also a member of Star Alliance.
- IATA code: BD
- Number of serviced cities: 30 destinations
- Main hub: London Heathrow Airport (LHR)
- Fleet: 34 aircraft
- Alliance: Star Alliance
- Loyalty rewards program: Diamond Club
History of BMI
BMI was founded in 1949 as Derby Aviation Limited, a part of a school for training RAF pilots. Flight school stopped in the early 1950s and the airline began operating scheduled flights to Jersey. In 1959 the airline changes its name to Derby Airways and a number of domestic flights were added at this time. In the 1960s the airline bought Mercury Airlines and also took over its flight routes from Manchester, changing its name to British Midland Airways. In the 1970s BMA entered the jet era and by the 1980s BMA was the main competitor of British Airways.
In 1992, BMA became the first airline to offer a vegetarian choice as part of their in-flight catering service. In 2001 the airline was partly sold to Lufthansa, joined Star Alliance and went under a re-branding process as BMI British Midland, now shortened to BMI. At the same time service to Washington DC and Chicago was launched. Their presence in the Middle East was made apparent when they launched flights to Cairo and Amman in 2007. Today BMI is restructuring their aircraft, eliminating business class to accommodate more seats in Economy and Economy Flexible.
Travel with BMI: practical information
- Meals: There is a meal and complimentary beverages served on long and medium haul flights.
- Entertainment: A complimentary newspaper is available on outbound flights. There are in-flight entertainment systems available as well with movies, games and more.
- Cabin: 1 piece of hang baggage is permitted per passenger. It may not be larger than 55 x 40 x 23 cm.
- Checked: Passengers are permitted as many bags as they want, the total weight restriction is 20 kg.
- Excess: For domestic flights, the fee is £9/kg, on European flights the fee is £11/kg and on Middle Eastern flights the fee is £17/kg.
Discounts and Special Offers
BMI offers frequent sales on its most popular routes, London to Glasgow for example or London to Beirut. You can find all of them on liligo.com when you search for your flights.
|Telephone:||0844 8484 888|