Top destinations for airline tickets
Swiss 1 stop
Lufthansa 1 stop
Swiss International Air Lines is the main airline operating out of Zurich’s airport. It is the new flag carrier airline for Switzerland since the bankruptcy of Swissair in 2002. Swiss Airlines is committed to corporate sustainability in the airline industry with a careful use of resources in order to continue to connect Switzerland to the world, including destinations in Asia, Africa and the Americas.
- IATA code: LX
- Number of serviced cities: 80
- Main hub: Zurich Airport (ZRH)
- Alliance: Star Alliance
- Fleet: 78
- Loyalty rewards program: Mile & More
History of Swiss International Air Lines
After Swissair, the former flag carrying airline of Switzerland, went bankrupt, Swiss International Air Lines was founded. This happened in 2002. Cossair, being owned by the same shareholders, was merged with the new version of Swissair and in 2005 commercial operations began for the airline. Agreements were reached after a few years of not being profitable and Swiss Intl. joined forces with Air France-KLM and Lufthansa.
The airline became profitable in 2006 and began to grow, adding new routes and being taken over completely by the German airline Lufthansa, making it a subsidiary airline. The airline also joined Star Alliance in 2006. Swiss Intl. is renewing its fleet, one by one. Their new aircrafts are more environmentally friendly and contribute to less noise pollution.
Travel with Swiss International Air Lines: practical information
- Meals: All meals served on flights are carefully prepared to suit many special diets and preferences. Enjoy complimentary refreshments as well.
- Entertainment: Each passenger has their own entertainment system that is programmed with movies, television shows and music. There is also an in-flight magazine, SWISS Magazine.
- Cabin: 1 piece for each passenger that weights no more than 8 kg and has dimensions of 55 x 40 x 20 cm or smaller.
- Checked: Each passenger is permitted 20 kg of luggage on European flights. For passengers travelling to the USA, Canada, South America and Cameroon, 2 pieces each weighing up to 23 kg are permitted.
- Excess: All excess baggage is charged per excess kilo. These charges however vary depending on the destination. For flights in Europe, there is a charge of CHF 20 / kg.
Discounts and Special Offers
Infants up to 2 years of age pay 10% of the regular adult fare while children aged 2-11 are charged 50% of the adult ticket. Infants must travel on the lap of their accompanying adult. All of Swiss International Air Lines offers are listed on Liligo.com.
|Telephone:||44 845 601 0956|
|Departure cities:||London, Manchester, Birmingham, Edinburgh|