Top destinations for airline tickets
KLM, Royal Dutch Airlines, is one of the biggest airlines operating in Europe. With Amsterdam as its head office, KLM has routes from one corner of the world to another. KLM partnered up with Air France in 2004, the first partnership in Europe, and serves hundreds of destinations worldwide as partner airlines.
- IATA code: KL
- Number of serviced cities: 136
- Main hub: Amsterdam Airport Schiphol (AMS)
- Alliance: SkyTeam
- Fleet: 118 aircrafts
History of KLM
KLM was founded on October 7th, 1919 as the Royal Dutch Airlines for the Netherlands and the Dutch colonies. The first flight took place later that year between London and Amsterdam. KLM serviced the longest scheduled flight in the world until the outbreak of the Second World War, between Amsterdam and Batavia (Colonial Jakarta), this was also their first intercontinental flight. All service was put on hold during the war but afterwards flights and schedules returned to normal in 1945. The world was introduced to the jet era in the 1960s when KLM launched its Douglas DC-8, making cheap flights to Tokyo and the USA possible in shorter times. The Flying Dutchman was the first loyalty rewards program created in Europe by an airline company. Today KLM is working closely with researchers and such organisations like the Worldwide Fund for Nature to decrease CO2 emissions and develop a new sense of corporate sustainability.
Travel with KLM: practical information
- Meals: Enjoy a hot meal and refreshments, both alcoholic and non, on intercontinental flights. Within Europe there are snacks and sandwiches available as well as warm and cold drinks. KLM is able to accommodate any dietary needs.
- Entertainment: On almost all aircrafts there is a personal entertainment unit with films, music, cartoons, audio books, and even language courses so you can brush up on your Spanish while on cheap flights to Madrid! There is also a complimentary copy of the Holland Herald, the world’s largest in-flight magazine and the biggest English language magazine in the Netherlands.
- Cabin: 1 bag per passenger plus 1 accessory (laptop or handbag) with a combined weight of 12kg max. and dimensions of 55 x 25 x 35cm.
- Checked: Passengers onboard intercontinental and European flights are allowed to bring 1 bag, weighing a maximum of 23kg.
- Excess: Arrange for extra baggage online to save 20% than what you would pay at the airport. It is best to always confirm and weigh your suitcases before leaving for the airport.
Discounts and Special Offers
Children under the age of 2 may travel free of charge on the lap of the accompanying adult. KLM does not offer any other reduced children or student fares.
|Telephone:||+49 (0) 180 525 4750|
|Departure cities:||London, Bristol, Manchester, Birmingham, Edinburgh|
KLM is sprucing up its menu as well as its in-flight Economy Class service. Now you can pre-order specialty meals for your next flight from Amsterdam!
The Government aims to rise Air Passenger Duty by almost 25% over the next four years. On top of that, the UK needs to cut its carbon emissions. To do that, one consultancy agency has suggested encouraging Britons to stay home.
KLM will be the first airline to operate a regularly scheduled services completely on biofuel. Starting September, KLM flights between Amsterdam and Paris will fly on 100% recycled cooking oil, an essential step for cutting carbon emissions and eventually the cost of flying as well.
Looking for a hot deal to a city that will impress? Fly London to Seoul for £533 with KLM in June, taxes included for all passengers.
KLM is running a new promotion to collect Delft-inspired tiles to decorate one of their planes! All you have to do is upload a photo, run it through their "tile generator" and you're done.
Try your luck at guessing the Secret City every day and you could win two tickets to a Secret City of your choice on KLM. How to start? Follow @KLM on Twitter.
Flying in Economy isn’t so bad, as much as we’d like to be living the high-rolling life in First Class with all the exclusive business and very-important-people travellers who can afford upgrades and the such. Economy is definitely all right, as long as you know how to get comfy during those tedious long-haul flights. Getting … Continued
Italy’s national airline carrier joined up with Delta Air Lines, Air France-KLM this week in a venture that will take it trans-Atlantic more than ever before. New flight routes are soon to be set up between main hub cities between the USA and Europe. The alliance between Air France, KLM and American Delta Air Lines, … Continued