Jet Airways is an Indian-based company using Mumbai as their main hub. With over 65 destinations domestically and internationally, Jet Airways is dedicated to bringing warm Indian hospitality to the world. It is India’s second largest airline and operates two smaller low cost airlines called JetLite and Jet Airways Konnect.
- IATA code: 9W
- Number of serviced cities: 68 destinations
- Main hub: Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport
- Fleet: 89 aircraft
- Loyalty rewards program: JetPrivilege
History of Jet Airways
Jet Airways began its operations as a taxi service but soon moved into commercial flights in 1993 and then one year later was granted permission to operate regularly scheduled passenger flights. The first international destination in the network was Sri Lanka in 2004. In the 1990s all of India suffered from an economic crisis, of all of the nation’s airlines only two survived, Jet Airways and Air Sahara, which Jet Airways eventually bought and renamed JetLite in 2007.
In 2008 Jet Airways and their main rival Kingfisher Airlines joined forces in an alliance that would cut costs for both airlines. Now they share flights on a domestic and international level, manage their fuel together, use common ground crew and flight crew as well as incorporated ground-handling. In 2009 the airline suffered greatly due to a pilot strike against the unlawful layoff of two senior pilots. The strike lasted 5 days and cost the airline an approximate £4.8 million a day since so many flights were cancelled. More recently Jet Airways opened routes between Chennai and Colombo as well as service between Mumbai and Delhi to London and to the Middle East.
Travel with Jet Airways: practical information
- Meals: Meals are served on all international flights. Special meals can be accommodated if the airline receives 24 hours notice before departure.
- Entertainment: There are three in-flight magazines to browse through: JetWings, JetBoutique and JetScreen. As well the individual entertainment systems are programmed with films, television shows, music and games.
- Cabin: 1 piece of carry-on luggage is permitted per passenger. It can weigh up to 7 kg and must not exceed the linear dimensions of 115cm (length + width + height).
- Checked: For passengers travelling between India and Europe the free baggage allowance is 28 kg. For domestic flights within India it is 25 kg.
- Excess: Each extra kilo of weight is subject to 1.5% of the adult Economy fare for that particular flight. Note that some students are eligible to bring an additional piece of luggage on some flights.
Discounts and Special Offers
Jet Airways frequently lists its flight specials and deals on liligo.com. Check frequently to find the latest.