Saudi Arabian Airlines is the national airline of Saudi Arabia based out of Jeddah. Offering a large network of regional flights, Saudi Arabian Airlines also connects to India, Europe, Africa, and North America. From London passengers can connect to or through Jeddah to the rest of the Middle-East.
- IATA code: SV
- Number of serviced cities: 76 destinations
- Main hub: Jeddah-King Abdulaziz International Airport (JED)
- Fleet: 126 aircraft
- Loyalty rewards program: Alfursan
History of Saudi Arabian Airlines
Saudi Arabia’s aviation history started with a gift. Franklin Roosevelt gave King Abdul Aziz Ibn Saud an aeroplane in 1945, the following year the Saudi Arabian king founded Saudi Arabian Airlines, the country’s national flag carrier. The airline quickly expanded in the 1950s and finally in 1962 Saudi Arabian Airlines bought its first jet. The following year the airline finally became completely independent from the Saudi Arabian government. In the 1980s Saudi Arabian Airlines began offering in-flight catering and also added a business class to their services.
In the 1990s Saudi Arabian Airlines began operating flights to the USA for the first time, mainly Orlando and Washington, D.C. The airline also underwent an image change consisting of new uniforms for the flight stewardesses and new colours. In 2005 the airline carried 16 million passengers for the first time. Currently Saudi Arabian Airlines has express ticketing and check-in, making it even faster for passengers to go where they need to go.
Travel with Saudi Arabian Airlines: practical information
- Meals: Meals on European flights to Saudi Arabia include a canapé, hors d’oeuvres, traditional soup, and a main course. There is also a selection of coffees, teas, hot chocolate and other drinks.
- Entertainment: Enjoy individual entertainment systems programmed with video, audio, religious programs in a variety of languages. There are also magazines and newspapers available.
- Cabin: 1 piece of cabin luggage is permitted; it may not weigh more than 7kg or be larger than 115 cm (length + height + width).
- Checked: Passengers may check 20 kg of travel on all flights except those USA-bound. In this case passengers may check 2 pieces of luggage, each with a weight of 20 kg.
- Excess: There are fees for baggage that exceeds the weight limitations but it varies between destination city and travel class.
Discounts and Special Offers
Full time students in Saudi Arabia may travel within Saudi Arabia with a 50% discount. Find special offers from Saudi Arabian Airlines on liligo.com when you search for flights to the Middle East.